What's the longest it's ever taken for a brew to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbrew

Reaction score
Last DECEMBER I brewed a split 10 gallon batch of barley wine.

WLP001: was 9.6%
WLP007: was 8.6% (go figure)

I thought it would never carbonate for the longest time, but it's finally there. Is this typical? I did a 9% RIS that carbed in less than a month.

I also made a 8% abv cyser that took at least 3 months.

The waiting on brews like this is so depressing:confused:

I'm having trouble remembering, I believe it was in primary for 10 days and secondary for 2 months.

I had a wee heavy that sat in the secondary for 4 months it was about 9%abv and it took around 1 1/2 months to carb. carbing seems to have more to do with yeast strain flocculation and time in ferments than alcohol percentage.

My Belgian Dark Strong is still getting a little more carbed up each time I try it. I brewed it in March and bottled in April. Waited 3 months to try the first one, and have only cracked 2 others.

I'll probably break another one out in a couple weeks.

I'm bumping this thread since I am experiencing the same thing right now. I bottled my Barleywine back on Nov. 1, 2008 and opened one yesterday....absolutely no carbonation. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever carb now that it's been over 3 months.

Back