Help Identify Fat Tire Ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I picked up my first 6 pack of Fat Tire this weekend. In the past, I've always had it at pubs on draft. When I tasted the first brew, I noticed a different flavor. It's hard to desribe but I guess it tastes earthy and grainy.? Is this maybe the biscuit malt that I'm not used to having?

It didn't taste 'bad' but it was different than what I've experienced before at the pubs.

I thought it was biscuit malt. The challenging part of learning beers is doing it alone. I can tell this tastes different than that but exactly why or what is causing it seems like will be an ongoing adventure. That's all part of the fun though!

I suggest the next time you are at your LHBS you chew about 10 -12 kernels of biscuit malt and see if that is the flavor you are getting. Your might want to chew both Belgian biscuit malt and Victory malt as they taste a bit different.

However, I am a little confused, : you said the bottled beer tasted different than the tap beer. Fat Tire would have biscuit malt in both so they should not taste different from that stand point. Did you have fresh bottled beer??

Dr Malt:mug:

I would have to look on the bottles to see when they were bottled. Plus, when I'm at the pub, there's a good chance I've had previous beers and/or beers after that one. And, people smoke in all the pubs/bars I go to. I'll be glad when they completely ban that.

I think I was able to pick up on more taste due to being at home and relaxing instead of in a crowded, noisy and smokey bar.

Not to get into any kind of debate on the subject, but inhaling smoke when I'm not used to it does affect the way things smell and taste around me. That was really the point of my comment, the way it makes things smell and taste differently.

Live your life the way you want to. That's why I'm brewing my own!

oh yeah, what i WANTED to talk about.

i'd hate to say it, but the difference in flavor could be attributed to dirty lines at the bar. or maybe soap residue in the glass.

DeathBrewer said:
or the inconsistencies of the new belgium brewing company

You dislike it seems.. Heh.. Enough of your commentary has made me never want to try the stuff.. Hah...

Dirty lines and the "bar" atmosphere can have a definite effect on what you are tasting. Perhaps your home tasting of bottled product is more accurate.

New Belgium is an excellent craft brewer and has a qualified QC/QA program to insure consistency of their products. They produce about 500,000 barrels of beer annually. I don't feel what you are tasting is due to inconsistency of their beer.

Check out biscuit and Victory malt, I think that is what you are tasting.;)

Dr Malt:tank:

I am currently enjoying another bottle. Today the flavor doesn't seem as intense as yesterday. Maybe I'm getting accustomed to this or my palate was off yesterday.

It does have a unique flavor although I can't see drinking this like a session beer.

Thanks for all the comments.:mug:

Back