Grains going bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So I bought grains towards the end of July before leaving for vacation with every intention of brewing before I left. Time got away from me (I have a very busy baby!) and when we got back from vacation we got caught up with kitchen renovation, etc etc. My grains unfortunately are unfortunately milled already and in a plastic bag with a twist tie. I know they don't stay fresh for long but how long would they bee okay like that? What would the difference be with fresh milled grains and these in a beer? Is it too late to use them?

So worst case scenario what will happen if they were stale and I brewed with them? I've tasted grain before it was milled but this has already been milled. How would I be able to tell if its stale?

What would the resulting wort be like if the grains had gone bad? I too have some milled grains tucked away in an airtight bag.

RDWHAHB. Then go ahead and brew with it. It'll be fine.

I don't think the OP is worried about anything. I'm not either. We are both just curious as to how the resulting wort would be different with older grains. That question hasn't been answered yet. Anyone have a thought?

What will come out of stale grains - nothing good, really! I know you feel pity for your money and your grains - but honestly, what are hoping for? Why don't you take all that to a farm to feed stock? In this case you'll have at least any use. Next time just take care of it, use grain moisture meter or what-so-ever to keep it dry and fresh.

It is not to late to use them, not even close. If they had been sitting in a brown bags, then maybe, but in a sealed bag, they'll be fine.

What you might lose is some vibrancy of flavors in the final product. It is not really any different than with any other food item. The only way it would taste bad, would be if the grains went rancid, which would be easy to taste in the milled grains. If it is rancid tasting, or you don't like the taste otherwise, then don't brew with it. If it tastes OK, brew with it.

So I bought grains towards the end of July before leaving for vacation with every intention of brewing before I left. Time got away from me (I have a very busy baby!) and when we got back from vacation we got caught up with kitchen renovation, etc etc. My grains unfortunately are unfortunately milled already and in a plastic bag with a twist tie. I know they don't stay fresh for long but how long would they bee okay like that? What would the difference be with fresh milled grains and these in a beer? Is it too late to use them?

It may be too late. Kind of depends on how dry they got kept even more than higher temperatures. If it's hot and humid, and you leave them in plastic, at some point you may get moldy grains. I would do a visual and smell test before eating three hand fulls.

Of course you probably live in the high desert and have very low humidities.

As for the grains enzyme activity, I think ground malt sitting around could lose a little converting power.

If they taste or smell rancid, stale, mildewy, or like a damp basement, throw 'em out. Otherwise they'll be fine. Particularly crystals can last a long time, 1 year+. Never had any trouble.

Back