Avery Maharaja clone by July 3rd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
From the recipe here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-avery-maharaja-242812/

I'm looking at brewing this up for a friend's birthday. Do you think this could be ready by July 3rd if I brewed it this weekend? This would be bottled, not kegged.

I'm hoping it can be, or even if it needs a week or so longer to be "great", I can at least give it to him on 7/3...

Whatcha think??

Thanks!

Kosch

I would do it. Just make sure to aerate the wort well, pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast, and use good temperature control. Which yeast do you plan to use? Two packs of rehydrated US-05 should make quick work of it.

Worst case you could give it to him on July 3 but tell him to let it age for a couple of weeks at room temp. before drinking.

If you listen to the podcast, it sounds like Avery turns it around in about 10 days, or something crazy like that. I'm not sure you want to start now, to be honest. Like Adam Avery says, pitch more yeast than you think you need, and aerate the hell out of it.

Whoever brewed it on the show had it done really quick, like two weeks. The primary was only 4 days. The hard part will be getting all the simcoe you need.

I would do it. Just make sure to aerate the wort well, pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast, and use good temperature control. Which yeast do you plan to use? Two packs of rehydrated US-05 should make quick work of it.

Worst case you could give it to him on July 3 but tell him to let it age for a couple of weeks at room temp. before drinking.

I wasn't quite sure what yeast yet. Maybe the Wyeast 1056 that they say in the recipe, but I've only ever used dry yeast, so your suggestion of 2xUS-05 may be better for me! I think the idea of just telling him to age it a couple extra weeks would be fine too.

If you listen to the podcast, it sounds like Avery turns it around in about 10 days, or something crazy like that. I'm not sure you want to start now, to be honest. Like Adam Avery says, pitch more yeast than you think you need, and aerate the hell out of it.

Whoever brewed it on the show had it done really quick, like two weeks. The primary was only 4 days. The hard part will be getting all the simcoe you need.

Hmm, I may need to listen to the podcast then :) I was figuring the higher ABV would make it take too long, but that's pretty cool if they turn it around that fast!

Thanks for the info folks! I think I'm going to give it a try. If anything, he'll have something to look forward to a couple weeks after his birthday!

Kosch

Latest posts

Back