fruity, bubblegum aromas from fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netza

Reaction score
mexicali, an hour and a half from san diego
I brewed 10 gallons of a black IPA, I made a 1 lt. yeast starter with two viles (which is what Mr. Malty recommended), but since a ferment in 5 gal. glass carboys I had to split the starter 500/500 between both carboys. Its been 3 days since inoculation, my airlocks are bairly giving off bubbles and Im getting very fruity aromas when I smell them. I am fermenting at 65-67 F°
Did I underpitch? Is this normal or not? Will this fruity, sort of bubblegum/estery aromas eventually go away? And most importantly, should I add more yeast or just let the beer ride it out.
Thanks

Fermenting beer makes all kinds of weird odors. Wheat beers smell like rotten eggs and you swear you need to throw it out. Relax, let it do its thing.

I do think you underpitched. I would have used that much or more for 5 gallons. But, it is not a fatal mistake. A black IPA will take a long time to finish so just set it aside for a few months and brew something summery while you are waiting.

A black IPA will take a long time to finish so just set it aside for a few months and brew something summery while you are waiting.

What? A few months for a black IPA? Why would it take that long? A couple weeks in primary and 3 more in the keg or bottle and it should be good. A couple more weeks later and it should be great. Why let it sit for a few months in the fermenter?

What was your measured OG? 07 is a great strain I have it working on a beer downstairs right now. I wonder if you need to bring the temp up a few degrees and swirl it a bit. I used one vial on 5 gallons of 8.5% imperial stout and hit the numbers perfectly. It can certainly a bit fruity but that should dissipate once it cleans up after itself and if you don't ferment to high.

2 vials is too concentrated for a 1L starter, the growth factor will be pretty low. Ideally you want something like 1 vial in 2L....I don't have my yeast book in front of me but you want a concentration of around 50 million cells per ml to get just over 2X growth.

its good to know about the yeast starter, I was usually making about 1 lt with 1 vial for 5 gallons and the same amount but twice the vials for 10 gallons, which is what I did in this case...
@HOPCousin I had 1.055 OG, Ive been told 007 is very sensitive to temperature changes, I started at 65 and brought it up 67, should I bring it up some more to hit the mark? Just so you know I inoculated probably higher than 65 because of the heat down here its hard to cool the wort that much, brought it down to about 76-78F and I let it sit in the freezer at 60F for about an hour so that probably brought it down a few degrees, maybe around 70, before I inoculated

Back