left hand milk stout and brecken ridge vanilla porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibintinknockin

Reaction score
Ok so I go to buy some beer early in the day. Now I normally grab what I like to drink and occasionally try something new. Im usually pleased but today I tried both listed above and yuk! I know these are well liked beers but I just can't get around the sweetness factor.

I've read comparisons between Guinness draught and left hand milk stout and I think id rather a pint of Guinness any day of the week to either... maybe its just me..

Guinness and Left Handed are not similar at all. Guinness is a dry stout, with a light body. Left Handed is a sweet stout, with a big, full mouthfeel and body.

For some info about the different styles of stout, take a look here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php

For what its worth, I think Left Handed is a good example of the sweet stout style.

I realize im probably in the minority ..... just seeing if anyone shared my opinion ... but I did like the milk stout better than the porter ... I like a stout with body, maybe if I sit on the rest of them the sweetness will mellow a bit.

I polished off the vanilla porter by making half n halves with bass. I know its not swil so I refuse to dump it. Cutting it put the vanilla in the background where I like it but still very present.

Back