Extended Mash Time Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to start my mash at about 10, but the SWMBO and kids want to see a movie around 10:30ish.. Can I leave the mash alone for a few hours while I meet the needs of the family unit? I want to start the mash at 152* and let it go until I get back and can begin running off and the sparging.

Do I have to worry about any type of nasty stuff being created as a result of the extended mash?

This is just me, enjoy the time with your family. And on your next opportunity, mash away bro!

as long as your tun can hold the heat a few hours wont hurt. Extreme coolers inside or outside on hot days might only lose 3*F in 3 hours. in that case go for it. if your system loses 8& an hour then I wouldn't leave it

A lot of folks mash overnight. If you keep the temps up (some folks wrap a sleeping bag around the cooler for extra temp holding.

Permo gives some good info for overnight mashing.

I have moved almost exclusively to overnight mashing, it's great. I do however adjust my mash temps up to help create a less fermentable wort in beer that I want some body in. I am using this is a guideline

150 - kolsch, tripel, etc.etc...where the drier the better
153 - IPA, high attenuation desired but not crazy!
155 - standard mash temp for balanced beer
157 - beers where I want less attenuation

Back