two quick questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
to start, i have just completed the boil of my birst batch...now the wait to see bubbles...my first question is i'm not going to be able to have it in a cooler environment for about 14 to 16 hours (its started fermentation at 75 degrees, tomorrow i'm buying a trash can and have frozen gallon jugs to hopefully drop the temp to around 65...will this small period of time affect my final prodiuct? my second question is about hopping...how much should i dry hop an ipa from true brew...i love hoppy beer, i just dont want to kill it. by the way the recipe was 1 pound crystal grain, 6.6 pounds amber lme, 1 oz uk pilgrim at start of boil, 1 oz uk first gold at last 1-2 min...i also added 1 oz of centennial in the last 2 minutes or so because i love hoppy beer, not sure of the yeast it is whatever comes with true brews ipa kit...do you think that will be plenty of hops or could i still dry hop and have an enjoyable beer???

Your fermentation should be fine. Many suggest keeping it at a temperature in range you're talking for the first half day or so, until fermentation is going, and then moving to your target fermentation temp.

If you like hoppy, dry hop away. My suggestion would be to wait 7 days, add dry hops (between 1 and 2 oz), wait another 7 days and then rack off the yeast, either to secondary or straight to bottles or keg. If you feel confident in your ability to pull a sample without contaminating the beer (e.g. using a sanitized wine thief), you can taste the beer after 7 days to see how hoppy it is before deciding about dry hopping.

see i was gonna rack into a secondary when ready to dry hop, but i have had mixed opinions on when ready is...i've heard 75% done (i think 4-5 bubble/min approximately) to 95% done (1 bubble per 90 seconds i think)...could someone give me some clarification on this?

see i was gonna rack into a secondary when ready to dry hop, but i have had mixed opinions on when ready is...i've heard 75% done (i think 4-5 bubble/min approximately) to 95% done (1 bubble per 90 seconds i think)...could someone give me some clarification on this?

Bubble frequency does not indicate fermentation! In theory, all your fermentation will be done when you go to a secondary. Use your hydrometer to know for sure, or if you have broken it, just be sure to give it plenty of time in the primary (2-3 weeks.) This should be enough time to have a complete fermentation unless something was wrong, or the beer was huge.

Back