Raspberry Twang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I just bottled my Raspberry stout and it had a wang I would call it. Kinda like wine to me. I had it sit on 3.5lbs of berrys for a week in the secondary. The people who used Raspberrys before is this normal and will it mellow with time?:confused:

I think I have the same issue with a raspberry-red ale that proved to be very disappointing. The taste was described as "sharp" by many. It's just a little overpowering, the base recipe probably could have been a little malty-er. I'm just letting them age, it can't hurt at this point (I don't find myself reaching for them anyway!).

So, no help for you, just commiseration!

Sorry, I don't think it will mellow.

My mixed berry mild has that same "wine-like" taste to it. (My wife likes it, but it doesn't have enough beer character for me.)

I think the only way to avoid it is to use less fruit in the fermentation, or not ferment fruit at all & use a flavor extract.

I load up my fruit ciders, but the only time I've used fruit in an ale, I used 8 oz. Every Raspberry ale I've ever had was WAY too much raspberry & not enough beer, so I used less than 1/4 of what the recipe called for.

I've been told that fruit beers mellow over time but I've seen no evidence of it. I have a raspberry ale that I brewed in April and it is still pretty sharply fruit tasting.

after 4 weeks my raspberry turned into a perfect blend of fruit and beer, but the first week, it was bitter like a sour patch kid. It mellowed out well.

I just bottled (what was supposed to be) a raspberry Maibock. It has a sharp tangy flavor that stings the back of the throat ever-so-slightly. I'm hoping a few weeks of aging will take care of it, but now I don't have much hope. :)

i recently did a raspberry wheat and basically i call it Raspberry Overload... i love it.. my other half hates it.. way overpowering raspberry.. however if you like that flavor its awesome.. mine tastes like a lambic framboise.. and i love a framboise so im loving it!

i have found that extract does not give it that sharp overpowering flavor.. i used extract in my cherry and its much more mellow

To some extent the fruit will mellow with age. The "Wang" as you put it is an overload on acid. The easy way to adjust it is to add gypsum to reduce the acid levels. Try adding a Tsp next time you make the same recipe.

I should clarify - my raspberry ale is delicious, it is just that the raspberry taste has not diminished. I made one with raspberry extract a while back, and that one did lose the fruit flavor edge over time. The difference might lie in the use of fresh fruit versus extract.

i just racked my chocolate raspberry stout to secondary and it had this wine like taste... i know this is an ooooold thread but im curious how this turned out for you guys..... did this mellow nicely? would adding lactose at bottling sweeten it up and kind of mask the sharp raspberry wineness that im tasting???/

Back