AHS West Coast Pale Ale Pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xcuzme

Reaction score
Quick question...

Just moved my AHS West Coast Pale Ale from primary to secondary this afternoon. How does the color look to those of you who have brewed this beer before? This is my first batch as a home brewer and I am curious to know if anything looks not quite right. The F.G. was right on at 1.012. If it matters this is AHS's mini-mash recipe.

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

Beer1.jpg

Looks good. Like my first time, very low. I started adding up to the 5.5 gallon area after that. Did yo uadd any water after transfering to your bucket?

Looks a bit low volume-wise, but the color looks right, though it's difficult to judge it in the carboy - the color in the siphon tube is a much more accurate indicator.

Per the instructions...I started out with 2.5 gallons to steep, mix the extract, and add the hops. The only thing I didn't do is add water over the grain bag at the end of steeping which would of added roughly 2 quarts or so. After cooling and adding to the fermenter, I mixed it with another 2.5 gallons and aerated. So, a total of 5 gallons minus what you lose to boiling (which surprised the hell out of me!). Would yall recommend using a little more more water for both the boil and the mixing in the fermenter??? If so, how much more??? Thanks again for the feedback!!!

Per the instructions...I started out with 2.5 gallons to steep, mix the extract, and add the hops. The only thing I didn't do is add water over the grain bag at the end of steeping which would of added roughly 2 quarts or so. After cooling and adding to the fermenter, I mixed it with another 2.5 gallons and aerated. So, a total of 5 gallons minus what you lose to boiling (which surprised the hell out of me!). Would yall recommend using a little more more water for both the boil and the mixing in the fermenter??? If so, how much more??? Thanks again for the feedback!!!

What you really want to do is boil, and then top off to 5 gallons. As you stand right now, you're looking at 3.5 gallons of beer. It'll have more alcohol in it than you probably expected as it is more concentrated, but that's ok. Who doesn't like alcohol!

Think of it as making a 5 gallon concentrate and then adding to the appropriate level.

I appreciate the help fellas...starting another batch this evening...AHS Wheat Stout mini mash. Now that I have the whole volume thing figured out, maybe this one will yield a little more brew!!! Thanks again

Latest posts

Back