When to bottle my Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Okay, it's been almost 5 weeks fermenting, and it's getting clear, but I can still see bubbles rising inside the carboy....

I've not taken a SG yet....

I want to brew another batch of beer and use this 6.5 gallon carboy for it....

When can I bottle the Apfelwein????

Thanks.

When the gravity remains the same for 3 days. Apfelwein normally finishes below 1.000. I usually let mine go 8 weeks before bottling it.

Yup, wait for it to remain steady, if you followed the original recipe at below 1.000 for sure. Also I prefer to wait until all my brews are crystal clear before I think about bottling.

okay, I just had to take a SG reading and taste of my first Apfelwein... 1.005 so still a little ways to go.... smells is a little off but it doesn't taste too bad, considering that I used AJ with calcium lactate.... ooops.....

will definitely be getting another bucket fermenter for the Belgian Wit that's sitting "on deck" and forget about the wein for a while......

Anyone notice any difference in bottle conditioned apfelwine vs. bulk conditioned? Once mine clears I'd like to bottle it, drink some and condition some. Just trying to figure out if there'll be a difference

Anyone notice any difference in bottle conditioned apfelwine vs. bulk conditioned? Once mine clears I'd like to bottle it, drink some and condition some. Just trying to figure out if there'll be a difference

My understanding is that it ages faster in smaller containers, but bulk aging gives more consistncy throughout the batch.

Back