Spent yeast for bread making!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
So....I love to cook and i thought. Why not use yeast from fermented beer to make bread. I thought why cant i save money instead of buying yeast at the store. After two batchs of dough that didnt rise i came to the conclusion London ale yeast does not work. Any input??????

The yeast from the beer might not be perfect for bread, since it might give weird flavours.

It'll be a tough call but maybe you just oughta spend the extra 15 cents ;)

Bread yeast was originally derived from beer yeast. They are both Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It could be that your spent yeast are too spent, or it could be that the strains have differentiated so much that the beer yeast isn't adapted for bread raising (though I can't see why not).

In any event, a better idea than recycling spent yeast is recycling spent grain. It makes for a great whole wheat bread. You can see details in the Bread thread, more specifically starting at Post 18 with pictures of the process and finished bread and Post 22 for the recipe and instructions.

Chad

I tend to agree with Nerro. Beer yeasties and bread yeasties have been bread (sorry) for different purposes. Perhaps using your spent grains to make bread would satisfy your admirable inclination toward reuse/recycling. Search the board for spent grain bread (I think the german word is treberbot, but don't count on my spelling). I made it once and it was a tasty hearty loaf.

Being a baker I can tell you bread yeast is designed to create CO2, so beer yeast is much slower. My best guess for using it would be to make a poolish (equal wt. flour and water and some yeast started 1-2 days ahead of bake day) added to a bread mix . It is not worth the time IMHO

Besides just using the spent grain - which is wonderful in bread, instead of using water for the bread, use wort from the end of the mash. I made a mild two weeks ago, and here is the approximate recipe:
2tsp dry yeast (I use bulk bread yeast)
1c whole wheat flour
6c white flour
2c final runnings, slightly cooled (~110-120)
1c spent grains

made two loaves of wonderful bread.

the sugars in the wort fed the yeast, and gave a nice carmel flavor

Did you guys watched basic brewing videos? They have an episode which they used beer yeast to make bread and bread yeast to make beer. Pretty interesting

Besides just using the spent grain - which is wonderful in bread, instead of using water for the bread, use wort from the end of the mash. I made a mild two weeks ago, and here is the approximate recipe:
2tsp dry yeast (I use bulk bread yeast)
1c whole wheat flour
6c white flour
2c final runnings, slightly cooled (~110-120)
1c spent grains

made two loaves of wonderful bread.

the sugars in the wort fed the yeast, and gave a nice carmel flavor

You rarely seen bread without salt. Add a tsp or 2 and the bread will be better

You can use beer to rise the bread since it already has co2 in it.

Back