Audiophiles/hifi buff brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead with an update of how homebrewing can be beneficial for your hifi-rig:

It turns out that the guy designing the amazing speakers I warship heard about my homebrewing from a common friend and he figured it would be fun to try some of my home brew:ban:. He invited me over togehter withm my friend and a couple other big wig hifi-guys. As requested I broght a keg with an IPA that turned out real good.

After a couple of beers :)tank:) and a lot of music listening, general chit-chat about hifi and brewing he spontaneously said that he really apriciated me bringing some homebrew and in return he would offer to sell me a pair of my (wet) dream speakers to a real good price! It turned out that his cabinet maker had made two pairs of cabinets instead of one pair as ordered so he just happened to have a pair of beautiful redwood-veneered cabinets that I could have -these particular speakers are custom manufactured and usually backlogged 1-2 *years* so It was a really nice gesture to offer me to buy a pair "off the shelf" just because I brought some homebrew!

So, I'm now eagerly awaiting my "Phonic Illusion pi32 Signature" reference side system and a "Profondus-Y2 Signature" bass module system. According to his (conservative) calculations these speakers will be capable of reproducing absolutely insane levels of distortion free sound exceeding 123dB from 15.5 Hz and above in my listening room (enogh to blow out the windows :rockin:).

The best thing of all is that he will not only to help tune the system to my listening room, but to help me designing and treating the room -provided he can hang around for a brew session!:mug: Hell, if he'd asked I'd showed him how to brew for free!

H

Nice! I really want to put my SS back together but I have a ****ton of projects going on.

Well, I've just bought an apartment that needs to be renovated (pretty much nothing done since 1953...but it got great potential!) so this time -since I have the budget- I figured I'd design and treat the living room acoustically for music and home cinema use (which is one of my true passions in life).

I've set myself up for atlest 8 weeks off this summer and I'll probably spend atleast five of pimping the apartment.

H

Found a (big) pic on the exact setup I'll have. They are kind of "ugglypretty" I think. The metrosexual/eastetic part of me think they're kind of ugly, but as an engineer, knowing that every little angle, dimension, detail on the cabinet, speaker elements and filter is done for pure acoustic reasons makes them kind of sexy:eek:

ino012mg1.jpg

Anyway, just to keep on rambling, they might not look like much, but this is the most accurate, capable speakers I have ever encountered, and I've listened to all of them. The soundstage and articulation these speakers deliver is simply mindboggling. They are designed so that there is virtually no sweetspot. You can stand up, sit down, move to the right and to the left and the soundstage (if the recording permits) is rock solid! It is redicilous!

Anyway, I could go on and on about how intricately designed these speaker are...and I will! The speaker elemens in the "side system" ("the speaker") are two 8" custom designed elemets for this particular speaker cabinet, tweeter and filter combo. The tweeter is also custom for this particular cabinet, as well as the filter. Put it all togehter it is designed to radiate sound different -but very purpousfully different- in all directions. The sound field produced by these speakers (all his speakers) are designed specifically to fool the brain and your hearing to create a realistic soundstage. And they deliver, let me tell you...

Anyway, on the tech side the side system is specifically designed to be cut of at 80Hz (thus it's not called a "full range speaker" but a "side system").

The side system is cut of by a (custom made) active filter dividing the signal between the side system and the bass module. The bass module sports a (do I dare to say custom designed?) 12" long stroke driver designed specifically for the box and the active filter. The active filter is *drumroll* specifically designed to tune the speaker system perfectly to a reasonably treated room.

Goddamn, I whish you could all go to this guy's demo room and listen to his speakers...or you could come visit me....:cross:

H

Oh, I wansn't finished rambling about my new speakers...:eek:

Just to put it into perspective, the impulse response from (i beleave) B&W 801 compared to the ones I ('ll soon) have. For the record, the 801:s are not bad at all. A typical high end speaker (most likely the 801):

p523672872.jpg

And mine:
p128367733.jpg

For the record, the guy that designed my speaker says that pretty impulse response is not really that important, but it just happened to come naturally when optimizing the parameters that really matters...;)

H

Back