Using plastic fizzy water bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentronix

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, first post here so go easy :)

I have my first ever brew which is muntons wheat beer that I set going this evening. Everything seems fine, thanks to this forum and art-of-brewing.co.uk for the service and excellent price :)

I am starting to think about cheap bottling options. I have lots of wine bottles but I assume the cork ones are no good due to the pressure. What about the screw thread ones ? If I ensure a better seal using cling film under the cap (a trick I learnt through horrid leaky milk containers).

Anyway, I am expecting a big fat no on that one so my next option is tesco value sparkling water. Its 17p for 2litres. Would that be ok ? Possibly using cling film too. They would only last a few times I suspect but in that time I would have collected other bottles.

I havent checked but it may be that the non sparkling comes in the same bottles, in which case, could I use the bottled water in my brew ? I assume its sterilized before bottling. Seems a shame to pour it away and there is no way I will be drinking 40 litres in 5 days.

thanks in advance

What about beer bottles? Can't you just pay the deposit at a pub or store and pick up a crate or two?

I've never bottled in used sparkling water bottles before.

I'm not farmiliar with the bottles you are referring to, but it sounds like you are suggesting re-usung screwtops? If that's the case, I would be very hesitant to expect a good, or consistant, seal.

Cheers for your replies. Yes I am basically talking about plastic sparkling water bottles. Fizzy pop. Like 2L coke bottles but the plastic is thinner. I would hope the cling film would help the seal but dont really know what kind of pressure develops. My thinking is that tonic and soda water bottles remain fizzy for ages once opened and reselaed.

To use beer bottles would mean drinking 40 pints in the next 4-6 days. I normally like that kind of challenge but I am not sure my liver would agree :)

We dont have the bottle deposit system in the uk so thats not a problem.

Anyone tried screw top wine bottles ? I tested some tonic with a few shakes and there was no noticeable leaks when held under water.

I know the best solution is to buy new bottles but a large part of homebrewing for me is money saving.

Party is a good idea except my house is full of beer making stuff now !!! :)

Plus they would probably drink my half fermented brew knowing my mates.

If you just started your brew tonight, you shouldn't be bottling for another 3 weeks or so. Bottling immediately after fermentation has finished is not a good idea unless you want to be drinking green beer. You really should let it age at least 2-3wks before bottling. Best for bottles though if you don't want to buy new ones is hit the local pub and ask for a few cases of empties. If you don't do the bottle deposit thing in the UK, then they likely just throw them out anyways. Just make sure you don't get bottles that had twist off caps.

Not many people buy beer in bottles round my way. I am quite freindly with my local pub so i will ask but I dont think I have ever seen anyone order anything other than draught or shorts.

My kit says I should bottle after 4-6 days, should I leave it longer ?

the plastic 2ltr soda bottles will work. I did my last batch in them while I waited for my kegging supply's to arrive. Basically you have to drink the whole bottle withing a few hours of opening it though as it will go flat much the same way the soda that originally came in the bottle did.

drinking 2 litres once open shouldnt be a problem :)

Did you do anything about the seal or was it ok as it was ? How many times did you re-use the bottle ?

This first batch will probably get drunk pretty quick so long term seal isnt that important. About a month would be fine.

The kit instructions are, excuse my language, utter crap. Hit the beginners forum and read through some of the threads there. It's a pretty regular topic of conversation...

It's refered to as the 1-2-3 rule. 1-week in primary, 2-weeks in secondary, 3-weeks in bottle. Or you can just do 3-weeks in primary if you don't have a secondary.

You can do shorter, but the results won't be as good. Some guys won't bottle till at least 4-weeks or more. It does vary some with the type of beer your making, but the 1-2-3 rule seems to be the general accepted wisdom.

brilliant, thanks. More reading up needed then :)

Gives me time to stock up on bottles as well.

I use 500 ml Perrier plastic bottles for samples from my kegs in conjunction with a Carbonator. Works great.

GrantLee63 said:
I use 500 ml Perrier plastic bottles for samples from my kegs in conjunction with a Carbonator. Works great.

+ 1 on the Perrier plastic bottles - beer and cider carbonate with absolutely no problem, as long as you tighten them all the way. Just be sure to keep your beer out of the sunlight if you ARE bottling in clear or green plastic (or glass for that matter).

Good luck and have fun!

Im brewing my first brew as well (Muntons Irish Stout kit) Been in the primary for one week now. I took a hydro reading yesterday and today and it was at 21. It tasted good a bit watery but so far so good. Anyways to the point, I am planning on using plastic coke/root beer/water bottles in 2 and 1L sizes for it. I am sanitizing them very very well.

From my look on it there should be no problem using them, a bit out of norm and im sure a true beer conisour will frown on it heavily but they are cheap, can take very high pressures(no bottle bombs), easy to close. From what I read the bottles themselves will not be a problem but the used caps might. From my experience and the look of the plastic seal in the used caps they work just fine second time around. If you do want new caps most brew supply shops seem to sell them. I would replace the caps pretty often as they are cheap anyway.

I will let you know in a few weeks how well well they work, might end up with flat beer or I will end up with 2L of goodness. Im really not worried about the seal though, just make sure they are tight.

Latest posts

Back