Frozen Lager.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swig_A_Bedder_Brew

Reaction score
I'm sure I am not the first person who has had this happen but I froze my lager a week or so into lagering. What do I do?

I went away for work last week and returned last night to see a frozen better bottle and a good amount of spillage in my lager chamber. The regulator failed and dropped the temp and I froze 3 gallons of pilsner.
I've pulled it out and am in the processing of defrosting it now.
Is it ruined?
Any thoughts on what to do?

My plan is to defrost and resume for another 2 weeks and see what happens.
OG 1054
Lagered at 1010

Haven't tasted it yet.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm going to assume its not lost but might have some off flavors.

Exactly that, thaw it out and see if you can roust the yeast a little by rocking the carboy a little bit. With any luck, it just went dormant. Most yeasts are tough, so give it a shot. :)

Thanks! I will let you know what happens once its defrosts.

Used the wyeast bohemian yeast and it fermented in 6 days so I thinks it's pretty strong to start....and I harvested / washed some to use again later so I can always repitch if needed.

Just hope I didn't loose too much from the freezing and overflow.

🍻

Thanks @CUrchin! Very helpful.

Glad I kept some yeast.
I also split the batch up as well...
Have a single gallon in the back of my kitchen fridge and its perfect. Can grab the yeast easily from there and pitch at pretty close temps once I get it all thawed out....

Feel like its just going to take an extra week or two to clean it self up now. Never totally stressed out as its only my third lager and first time trying it with a temp regulator

Thanks for all the info!

Latest posts

Back