Ain't she pretty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
My first attempt at a Czech Pilsner....tastes as good as it looks!

pils.jpg

Awesome! I love pouring a big fat head...It's so rewarding. I can't stand going to a pub and having my head poured down the drain. If I'm gonna pay a high price at the pub for a beer I want it to look like a freaking Latte...

Good job!

Nice thats how my ccc(chinook,cascade,centenial) pilsner looked after a while.Glad your first pilsner turned out great.

Thanks everyone! Haven't had a truly "good" pilsner since leaving Germany 8 years ago...this one is really close!

Did you do a decoction mash? That's a pretty color. Recipe / process please. I got a bunch of american "C" hops that need using!

Straight pilsner malt? I did my first one today, decoction mash. Wort tastes friggin amazing. It's an incredible amount of flavor from a SMaSH. I don't know that I've ever had a really good commercial pilsner..

I can't stand going to a pub and having my head poured down the drain. If I'm gonna pay a high price at the pub for a beer I want it to look like a freaking Latte...

Um, I'm the opposite!! I can't stand when I go to a pub and pay $8 f'ing dollars for a half liter (16.9oz) and get a glass with 5oz of foam on top thereby giving me like a 12oz beer. It's angers the living hell out of me because it's a business profit tactic.

So sue me, I have anger issues LOL. But seriously, I don't like being taken advantage of and I personally find most foamy beer heads to taste rather metallic. That's not to say I don't like pouring a beer and getting a bit of head, I actually do. I just prefer more like a 1/4 - 1/2 inch head on my beers.

Rev.

Totally agree with Rev. For a home brew that is some awesome head, in a commercial setting I like nothing better than a pint filled to the rim with foam less beer. At home you can just keep pouring those 20-30 cent beers with big heads.

I love it when a beer gives good head. And the head on my ales has a creamy taste reflecting the constituents of the beer. No metallic taste. But I gues that can happen.

Back