Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the first of a series for my mixed ferm sours. They will all be Seinfeld themed like this. And I have a stout ready to bottle that may be named Festivus for the Rest of Us!

delicate_genius.jpg

Here's the first of a series for my mixed ferm sours. They will all be Seinfeld themed like this. And I have a stout ready to bottle that may be named Festivus for the Rest of Us!

View attachment 657816

Great looking label, but I have to ask what is the secret ingredient in your beer. It mentions it contains the cure for hope?! My best guess is that you whirlpool with a slice of wedding cake and a broken condom?

FWIW, using the Seinfeld is brilliant. You will never be lacking for content or ideas to pull from!

I remember when they first putting started the warming to pregnant women on the labels a women comedian said "There should a warning to women that alcohol can lead to or cause pregnancy".

upload_2019-12-23_16-36-19.png

These are the labels for our Christmas beers this year.
Left - Jupiter Series: Barrel Aged Imperial S'mores Stout
Right - Jupiter Series: Peanut Butter Imperial S'mores Stout
Mid - British Brown Ale (Nut Brown)(Label is supposed to look like an ugly sweater)

We always wax the top of our Christmas stout and this year, we ventured out and tried a different brand of wax. Terrible idea!!! It was thick and hard to work with. I'm pretty sure whoever gets those is going to need a jack hammer to open them. Needless to say, we stopped after 8 bottles and ordered new wax. So the "Jupiter Series" bottles will have white wax on top.

View attachment 657816
Great "Zero Wing" blast from the past meme. An all-time classic.
View attachment 658401

These are the labels for our Christmas beers this year.
Left - Jupiter Series: Barrel Aged Imperial S'mores Stout
Right - Jupiter Series: Peanut Butter Imperial S'mores Stout
Mid - British Brown Ale (Nut Brown)(Label is supposed to look like an ugly sweater)

We always wax the top of our Christmas stout and this year, we ventured out and tried a different brand of wax. Terrible idea!!! It was thick and hard to work with. I'm pretty sure whoever gets those is going to need a jack hammer to open them. Needless to say, we stopped after 8 bottles and ordered new wax. So the "Jupiter Series" bottles will have white wax on top.

So what is the "good" wax to use? Thx.

Great "Zero Wing" blast from the past meme. An all-time classic.

So what is the "good" wax to use? Thx.

LD Carlson or BrewCraft are the ones to use, from our experience. You can see from the picture below, compared to the picture above, it's a much nicer wax to work with. Not as thick and you can still see the cap underneath!

The other one we used was some chinese made wax. Terrible idea...

upload_2019-12-24_14-9-59.png

i’m sorry, what? Is that food safe for bottle tops? It sounds too simple.

[emoji848]
I waxed one time with 1/2 red crayons and 1/2 glue sticks. Melt them in a pot, stir and dip the bottle! I recommend at least 3/4 ratio glue sticks since some started to crack once they cooled.
Food safe? It’s outside the bottle... [emoji482]
View attachment 658562

[emoji848]
I waxed one time with 1/2 red crayons and 1/2 glue sticks. Melt them in a pot, stir and dip the bottle! I recommend at least 3/4 ratio glue sticks since some started to crack once they cooled.
Food safe? It’s outside the bottle... [emoji482]
View attachment 658562
I had read an online post about this somewhere actually. Not on HBT. They had said in that post if you don't get the ratio right of glue to crayons, it makes it very hard to work with. You can easily buy bottle wax so I didn't want to mess with that method and chance it

Rye beer with spruce tips:
View attachment 640057 View attachment 640058 View attachment 640059
German style dark lager:
View attachment 640060 View attachment 640061
Single hop (Amarillo) New England IPA:
View attachment 640062 View attachment 640063
Saison brewed with pilsner, rye and spelt malts:
View attachment 640064 View attachment 640065 View attachment 640066

edit: I do all of this work by myself and I’m open to commissions. PM if you are interested.
How are you printing the labels?

I use the Brown Kraft Labels From Label Outfitters:
https://www.labeloutfitters.com/Brown-Kraft-Inkjet-Printer-Labels_c_267.html

I love the look of them on brown glass. but know two things:
1) the adhesive is a ***** to remove... I have to boil, caustic soak & finish with WD40.
2) because they are rough textured, laser printing them looks good initially, but fades a bit when handled.

Cheers!

Label looks great! But, with your negative comments why use them? My biggest complaint with any labels is the easy of or lack of easy removal.
I use the standard Avery labels, easy to remove with soaking.
To protect the label I found a clear ureathane film I apply over it. Removes by simply peeling. If I get around to it this weekend I’ll post.
Cheers!

Hi All!
I have been playing around with "Inkscape" (a free vector editor) a bit lately and decided to try my hand at making a label. I have found that dealing with text is so much simpler in Inkscape and that vectors scale so much better than rasters do. I use "Paintdot.net" for 99% of my raster work, I like it better than Gimp (or any other) probably because I have used it for a long time and I am quite used to it. Gimp has more "plug ins" that come with it (included with the initial download) and Paint.net has quite a few that come with it also but PDN has a zillion that you can add to the basic list.
Please don't ask about the beer, it's just something I pulled the info from an online seller's kit. I am looking for a critique of the layout though. I kind of want to keep the basic layout the same for most of the beers/labels except for some sort of graphic and name for the suds.
If I can make it work you should see a full bottle wrap and a neck label.
Fire away !Rail Head Red - 2-wt-bg.png Rail-Head-Red-Neck-Label-2.png

Label looks great! But, with your negative comments why use them?
To protect the label I found a clear ureathane film I apply over it. Removes by simply peeling. If I get around to it this weekend I’ll post.
Cheers!

I just started labeling so I started out by just finding the labels that looked good. if you are doing non-returnable packaging, maybe these would be perfect. however, I'm just bottling for F&F, so reuse is important to me.

Please share you clear product recommendation, as I was simply considering paper with milk-glue. The urethane film might be a nice addition.

As I'm only starting out, and just wanted something so I can tell which bottle is which. :)

I made a design using normal address labels, to be stuck on the bottles at an angle. I think they look ok :)
3hWa6ifZM6kwvlTSAEdmWTO5EWZbNX0np-lz_7QlYSyrOWXY5Ao3qfR3H1Z_nU6NUyrmURbLJGZjBKsf-t7rpLrsqafbX4SriwqZ5ilVn7SYTA5xhkhkzKdGxjQJ_2KblHqoxhYO-yUZxAwXSqGJPHe4khmKL4R169irRJgPReNYDvwVosMVrKkTAz50XCZ6iC4hmTe8ZewCSVoJYKQk1uTkCsxAhFzriS466mybXGdOK5ZqM7efn3pBRVT7loy93Uiyivi280U-btrtrCThL7rexxxfJ0IoUCAb8lgbWFjTSamPpUmPZQMrSnjpxv_Wo2shCjh1D5_pan3phd2wgICByOkb5cJ7JY8yL2PqjhaEOtDb4IH4E4w4elHJ4QKn6Enox41Hs7Ge7wWcg8btqr4WJAlZec3H6_EY1oF-Iw8c8Fx4E-ClUoMIAiQT_pIifJOKXiTCwSmmFdJnQNECJeaUU_0XTj2yt7smSR_bf5OwT9eSE2N6WTF44JuGLzgu5tx_AtwIqOUXtO9dRJdHfc1xt3yyM6HIbxyDf9xmiPlfY8be1QI6U8_BRYwm2IkrYRAp5lkAfQ6jlw6I9vUf5sHOvUYEOywC2xyu-iOZw0a1tTOOUbZ_i6-84_StFakdBjdjRXpVqPVPncdt1ci-AcRfSKkXCNTKNk8NsyqrzYexMH0bu6exi6ADQzbEgGbVzVF9bBHH2838Qx3oB2OmwzhuXXdyqVb3CAtW0M_RXHn0V8z-xQ=s893-no

Does the job and looks great! The only thing you might find you want a do over on is when you try to get them off. Those labels are engineered to really stay put (ask me how I know....;)). If you haven’t already tried it, using milk or gelatin as an adhesive works great and makes reusing bottles quick and easy. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/use-knox-its-the-best-label-adhesive.354082/

Welcome to the forum!

Oh thanks!

The labels were the cheapest of the cheap, so I imagine they'll soak off fairly easily? (although, I guess you know otherwise!?) Thinking about it, mail gets wet, so they'll stay put. Ah well! Maybe next time I'll stick them to soapy bottles. I've done that before to make permanent adhesive less clingy and it normally works quite well. :)

Oh thanks!

The labels were the cheapest of the cheap, so I imagine they'll soak off fairly easily? (although, I guess you know otherwise!?) Thinking about it, mail gets wet, so they'll stay put. Ah well! Maybe next time I'll stick them to soapy bottles. I've done that before to make permanent adhesive less clingy and it normally works quite well. :)

No harm no foul. As I recall; Hot water, oxy clean, a razor blade, a green scotch pad, and some elbow grease will get em right off..... :D

Never heard of the soap trip but sounds promising. I may give that a try sometime. Once I started using gelatin, I’ve never looked back, but it couldn’t hurt to have multiple weapons in the arsenal.

Back