Most expensive beer and was it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I've had that beer before. It was beautiful!

I think the most I've spent was $20 on a bottle of Russian River Consecration. It was worth every sour penny.

I have some Utopias that I got for Xmas. Havnt opened it yet though.

Russian River beers are worth every cent though. I have had most of them and now that I am not in CA anymore, would gladly pay double for a few bottles.

I got lucky on that actually. A friend ordered a case of Consecration from Liquid Solutions. He didn't get an invoice or email confirmation of the order, so he ordered again thinking it didn't take the first time. The next day, both invoices came through. I was able to buy a few from that extra case he had.

Yeah, Consecration is the most expensive beer I have ever bought. Followed close behind by Cantillon Grand Cru. Both 100% worth the cost and I would and will pay again.

hmm. Utopias is obviously the most expensive beer anyone can buy, so that's my answer. And sure it was worth it. Was it the best thing I've ever had? Nah, but it was a cool experience.

I've bought a good number of bottles at 25-30 a bottle. Most have been pretty great. Consecration, Temptation, FW11-13, and plenty more have all been very much worth it.

I don't remember, but yes, I'm sure it was worth it.

I bought something with a small sailboat on it that was really sour for like $11 that wasn't worth it (pannepot??), but I'm sure I've spent more than that...

Apparently I'm a cheap bastard. I get all bent paying $13 for a 4 pack.

However.

Few weeks ago I was in my favorite beer store and was joking with the girl about the $13 for 4 Yeti Stouts and she was like "we got some barley wine for $8 a bottle" and me being a fan of the Flying Dog barley wine said "POINT ME TO IT" and bought one.

Well it tasted nothing like my Horn Dog barley wine. I didn't like it, forget the name but I didn't like it :) My wife laughed.

I was lucky enough to grab a sip from a 750ml of Scaldis Prestige that a few friends went in on (cost them $50). It was a damn good beer, but I personally wouldn't pay that.

Rogue Ten Thousand Brew Ale. $24.99/22oz
My Brother In Law bought it for me and it was one of the best beer sI have had.

Yeager and I are into this years Utopia batch for around $250 for 10-ish gallons. If it's as good as last years it will definately be worth it.

(That's just for the grains, yeast, bottles and propane butn doesn't count the $250 for the barrels to age it in. We'll be able to reuse them for a few years.)

PTN

Golden Valley's IPA Brut, $15/bottle. Bought a case. Well worth it, but it didn't age well.

2008 dogfish head Pangaea $30

it was just a couple of weeks ago. i remember the moment i laid hands on it wanted to crack it and drink it but waited...till later that night! worth it? HELL YES! actually i split the bottle with a friend so it was just $15 for a glass full.

Dues Brut de Flanders. I bought it because I'd never seen a $40 bottle of beer.

This really is the champagne of beers. Brewed in Belgium then shipped to France for a second fermentation in the bottle with champagne yeast.

Just as bubbly as champagne but with a very complex taste which demands that you slow down and enjoy it.

I don't know if it was the best beer I've ever had, but I've spent more on a bottle of champagne that I enjoyed less.

i've spent $10 a bottle for Trappist Rochefort 8 & 10. 10 is one of the best beers i've ever had. i spend anywhere from $7-$10 a bottle for Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. i love that beer. i regularly spend $12-$15 for big bottles of Captain Lawrence specialties.

2008 dogfish head Pangaea $30

it was just a couple of weeks ago. i remember the moment i laid hands on it wanted to crack it and drink it but waited...till later that night! worth it? HELL YES! actually i split the bottle with a friend so it was just $15 for a glass full.

Holy crap. It's $12 at our store. I think 2008 or 2007 are still on our shelves, hah.

Old Rasputin 12th Anniversary, $19.99 500ml. I really enjoyed it, but not worth another $20, except maybe to cellar.

I must be cheap, really wanted to pick up a bottle of Southern Tiers Iniquity Imperial Pale ale or the Unearthly Imperial IPA......but at $6.99 a bottle (22oz), I just couldnt do it.

Ended up picking up a sixer of Founders IPA for just a little over that price.

I think an Ouds Beersel old kriek 10 oz for like $12 or something. Very good... even Russian River doesn't do sours like the Belgians.

Double Dead Guy $9.98 for the bomber. It was worth every penny. Its my go to beer when the home brew runs out.

lost abbey- angles share- $32- yes (kinda)

I felt the same way. Such a tiny bottle for such a high price. All I could taste was oak.

I wish I had stuck the bottle somewhere, forgot about it for ten years, then opened it. Then I definitely think it would've been worth it.

14 for a glass of some 3-4yr old flanders at the local "Over 300 beers" type pub. The name completely escapes me, but it was absolutely delicious. Was it worth it? Probably, I certainly am glad I purchased it. Would I buy it again? If I could remember the name maybe, but unlikely unless it was a special occasion...that's just alot for a beer.

all beers here are expensive, thanks to our ludicrous taxation. I think I paid $15 or so for a bottle of lindemans Kriek. There are waaay too many beers around the $10/12oz mark for me to recall at the moment. IMO, none were worth it, given that I can approximate most of them fairly easily myself, and for a LOT less money.

Dues Brut de Flanders. I bought it because I'd never seen a $40 bottle of beer.

This really is the champagne of beers. Brewed in Belgium then shipped to France for a second fermentation in the bottle with champagne yeast.

Just as bubbly as champagne but with a very complex taste which demands that you slow down and enjoy it.

I don't know if it was the best beer I've ever had, but I've spent more on a bottle of champagne that I enjoyed less.

Wait a minute I thought Miller High Life was the champagne of beers...

I must be cheap, really wanted to pick up a bottle of Southern Tiers Iniquity Imperial Pale ale or the Unearthly Imperial IPA......but at $6.99 a bottle (22oz), I just couldnt do it.

Ended up picking up a sixer of Founders IPA for just a little over that price.

I recently had the Oak Aged Unearthly Ale Recently. Definitely worth the 6.99. Just FYI...

PS I am cheap too (my friend bought 12 22ozers stupid PA liquor laws).

I bought a 4 pack of 12oz Founders Nemesis - Barley Wine for $20. It was the last pack of it, and this was my first time trying a barley wine....was it worth it?? Absolutely!!

I usually don't mind spending a few extra bucks on a good beer...as long as I like it end enjoy drinking it. The higher abv is always a plus, too.

Now I just have to refrain from drinking them, so they can age a little!

So this week I bought my most expensive. Russian River Temptation $13 for 12.69oz.

Drank it tonight. I was good but I can get a bottle of dry red wine for a lot cheaper and I thought that is really what it tasted like....

Probably will try consecration tomorrow...

Various Cantillon beers for $20-25ish a bottle. Very much worth it, especially the Iris.

I have bought all types of beer up to 20 dollars 30 dollars, i dont ever regretted buying a brew even if i hated it, it lets me know what a good one should taste like, maybe im just really novice still and want to expand. But i bought a big bottle of double bastard by stone for my brothers wedding

(like this one) http://bostonist.com/attachments/austinist_kerry/double-bastard.jpg

its was worth every penny of the 80 bucks or 90 bucks i spent on it. I forgot exactl how much I paid. We all ended up on the floor that night :), (the damn beer come with a lock!)

Back