Heating fermenting beer and bottles in tub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petergriffen

Reaction score
So I had the a rubbermaid tub filled with water, a heater, and fermenting beer. All worked fine. Now I have the bottles in that same tub staying at 70. Now I would like to have both a carboy and bottles but the tub is not large enough. I bought a larger tub but it wasnt strong enough and the sides almost blew out. Any suggestions to on what to heat them both in? Any images? So I just need a tub to fit ~48 bottles and a carboy/6 gallon tub.

You could always just stash the bottles somewhere else in the house, assuming you don't live in an igloo. Even if it's cooler they will still carb up. Might just take a bit more time. Controlling the temp of the beer while it's fermenting is different. You can limit/control esthers, fusals, etc., but once it's past all that and is bottled it's not really going to matter if they condition at 63 or 70.

Well sometimes it's close to an igloo. It is kept around 55 then up to 65 when we are there. How much longer we talking about carbing up? I just tried my first one after a week of carbing and it tasted great.

Maybe another couple weeks. Each beer is different. My house is about the same as yours and my brews carb in about a month, maybe sooner. I don't even bother checking until a month goes by. I like to let them set a while longer to condition a bit but they are deffinitely drinkable at that point.

I really wouldnt mind a tub that fit both perfectly since I'm already heating the beer as it ferments

You might want to consider 2 tubs . I don't let any of the beers to ferment at 70° . I like to keep them around 65° in the swamp cooler but then again my basement is warm this time of the year and I have to cool the water .

Back