Who's brewing on Black Friday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
The hell with those sales. I am brewing an American IPA. I am enjoying my day off brewing not fighting in line at stores!!

Of course, I am brewing on Black Friday. Great time to brew, wifey gone shopping, I get the man cave to myself brewing a new blonde ale recipe I came up with.

I'm gonna try Edwort's Haus Pale today. Once the coffee kicks and I'm up and around I'll get started. Wish me luck.

I've got grains, so I'm thinking about it. Snowed here today so I'm going to check the weather for the rest of the weekend first.

I am doing two batches today. First a Stella clone and then an Anchor Steam beer. Can't wait. Steam beer will be for a friend coming in mid Jan and the Stella will lager until mid Feb. Can't wait.

~Diz

I'm not brewing today but i racked a porter into secondary and also made a stop to the lhbs, came back and crushed some grains for the big brew day on monday. I'm thinking of doing a double batch on monday, a witbier for SWMBO and a Espresso Stout for myself. Should be a good day

I'n doing another 2.5 gallon tweak of my chocolate mole porter. I am hopping to move from just an honorable mention for it like I got last year in a couple contests, to an actual placing.

I'll be tapping a keg of IPA and another of APA tonight. Hoping my package of Simcoe hops comes today so I can brew my Imperial IPA tomorrow.

I made a bohemian pseudo-pilsner today. I completely overshot my gravity AND quantity. Normally that wouldn't be an issue but I am pseudo-lagering and I don't want to strain the yeast. Well, let's see what kind of magic that stir plate can peform.

The brew went well though, going well means no messes or fights with the wife.

I changed my mind. Just doughed in. I decided to brave the cold since my wife is at work. She's got the rest of the weekend off.;)

I'm gonna try Edwort's Haus Pale today. Once the coffee kicks and I'm up and around I'll get started. Wish me luck.

Strange we are brewing the same beer! I am doing an organic version of Edworts Haus Pale right now. 34 min and counting left in the boil.

I'n doing another 2.5 gallon tweak of my chocolate mole porter. I am hopping to move from just an honorable mention for it like I got last year in a couple contests, to an actual placing.

Dude, that beer sounds very interesting. Someday I'll get the courage to make something super experimental like that.

I brewed a Northern English Brown today. No one home but me, took my time, super enjoyable brew session.

Just Mashed-In a 10g batch of a Brown Ale.. Kegged 10 gallons of a bock this morning, and am anxiously waiting the end of the boil so I can get into the 10g of 90min IPA I kegged a couple days ago..

Just finished a sweet stout that I'll be serving via stout tap & nitrogen.....Christmas is going to be good this year

Sounds delicious, my wife just made up some homemade mole. Id be interested in your recipe.

Just started on a partial mash Belgian-ish White that my wife picked out. I think it'll be pretty good myself :)

Well i'm not brewing but I did boil all my water and prep everything for washing and saving my first 2 strains of yeast!

I feel confident that I can be successfull after reading the threads here.

Thanks for all your shared info and special thanks to Bernie!:rockin:

Wish me luck,

Bull

I wish I could have brewed today, but unfortunately I'm stuck at my in-laws for another few days...

Thankfully they have some of my homebrew here that was leftover from our wedding rehearsal, it's been sitting in a closet since May and is delicious, so at least I can enjoy that!

I had the brewday from hell yesterday. Posted on the PNW group brew thread but thought I"d share it here too...

Ok. Brewday went as follows:
6:23 am: Pre boiling water - hope to mash in at 7
7:07 am: Mashing in in a few - water at 175, beersmith says 170
7:40 am - Missed mash temp (didn't account for grain temp) 145 rather than 154 start Steam infusion to compensate (new this brew)
8:00 am Overshot temp - 160*F Stir like madman to bring down to 154
8:05 am - down to temp. Start preboil of sparge water.

Then I stopped taking notes because stuff REALLY started going down hill...

*I had a hell of a stuck sparge

*The copper elbow setup for siphoning sparge water out of the kettle fell off. I had to get it out and reatatch it - without burning myself.

Didn't get to the hop addition till 12:00

Boil went fine

Hops clogged up the input - knocked the elbow off when trying to fix. Clogged the CFC, undershot volume (happened to have preboiled water which I brought back to boil), kept on loosing things I needed. By the time I cleaned up it was 6.

Nothing huge - just a bunch of little crap that all went wrong at once. Wort tastes great though!

Once the boil was started I decided to oversparge the grain for starters (not thinking about the fact that this bill made for a DARK wort). Ended up with quite a few pints of 1.040 wort.

Pictures:
Pre strike grain
4140236758_3ac9673821.jpg

Ghetto fab SIM setup. Uses sparge manifold to inject steam. Worked great. Had the pressure cooker ($10 at goodwill years ago). Valve salvaged from a junk espresso machine. Eventually there'll be a more permanent handle than a hose clamp.
4140239160_d0bc7499f4.jpg

Picture makes the mash paddle I made of maple yesterday look much better made than it is...
4140242924_c064cf01a9.jpg

Lots of pressure canned starter wort
4139484363_e00c386701.jpg

Major problem: too many new variables in one brewday.

*Manifold was used with slits up, usually I use it with slits down.
*Hadn't ever used a pump on brewday
*Hadn't ever used the CFC on brewday
*Elbows (the ones that fell off) were cleaned up by yours truely - surely loosening fit
*Biggest beer (sg) I've ever done, though I've done larger bills - just 10 gal, not 5 gal batches
*New mill (monster mill) - had been using carona
*Conditioned malt

I guess I was begging for it...

I did two batches, both AHS kits. Piloncillo Porter and Bav. Dunkelweizen. EVerything went ok, except the burner I used wouldn't get the wort boiling. Hopefully it got close enough.

Back