Bigger beers take more time to carbonate in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
Have you found that your higher gravity homebrews take more time to to fully carbonate in the bottle? I have found that all of my beers fully carbonate in 2-3 weeks of bottling regardless of O.G.but that my higher gravity beers take longer to drop clear and mellow.

Gravity and storage temp are the biggest factors in carbonation/conditioning times...

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

And here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/bottle-time-bigger-beers-128864/#post1443123

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

It also depends how much yeast is in it.

I put gelatin and crash cooled one and there was almost no trub in the bottle but it took 2 months to carb.

Back