My First Batch: Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbzzz1

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I am mid-first batch right now and I had a question about fermentation. I am using a malt extract kit/dried malt extract combo with ale yeast from the kit. I put my wort in the fermenter, added my yeast, then sealed it. After about 8 hours or so my airlock began to bubble at about 1 bubble every 2 seconds. When I checked the airlock early this morning, it was bubbling rapidly. Now its night time here in New Jersey and there is not a single bubble. I checked to make sure everything was sealed properly. I was told that beer ferments faster when there is more humidity in the air, and it has been a bit humid in NJ the past few days. I was curious what I should do...Is the beer done fermenting after only about 36 hours in the fermenter? How long should I let it sit in the fermenter? When should I bottle? I appreciate any input. Thanks for everyone's help walking me through my first batch.

Airlock activity is not an accurate indicator of the fermentation process. Your beer is most likely still fermenting. Let it sit at least another couple days (hard, with the first brew, I know) before testing with your hydrometer. Are you planing on using a secondary or not?

The slowed or stopped bubbling in the airlock doesn't mean the fermentation is complete, it just means not enough gas is being given off to force its way through the airlock, so don't get too concerned. The yeast are still doing their thing. It's not uncommon for active and visible airlock activity to cease after a few days.

Opinions will vary along with the exact recipe you used, but most people will suggest to leave it in the primary at least a week or two and then take hydrometer readings for a few days to make sure fermentation is complete. Some will rack to a secondary vessel for another week or two before bottling, while others will let it sit in the primary for a month or two. Time is your friend, but ultimately you just want to make sure the fermentation is complete before moving on to bottling, and that can only be determined after taking a few hydrometer readings for a couple days straight and make sure it isn't dropping any more, and is hopefully near your target FG.

If you don't have a secondary, give it 3 weeks to condition in your fermenter. That's what I've been doing. Take a hydrometer reading so you understand what's going on, but don't sweat it.

I am not using a secondary fermenter since it is only my first batch. My initial hydrometer reading was 1.048 or so. When is it ok the take another reading? I appreciate all your help.

I am not using a secondary fermenter since it is only my first batch. My initial hydrometer reading was 1.048 or so. When is it ok the take another reading? I appreciate all your help.

If you're not using a secondary, take another SG about two days before you plan to bottle, in a couple of weeks. Then, take another on the day you plan to bottle. If they are the same, and within the expected FG, then you can bottle it.

I wouldn't bottle any earlier than two weeks from brewing. Three weeks would be better.

Back