How's my logic? Keezer/Fermenting/Cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantNH

Reaction score
I have at my disposal a free 21cf chest freezer. This thing is a monster I am not sure what best to do with it. I would like start Kegging and make myself a Keezer. I live in New Hampshire so as far as temps go I can pretty much brew ales at room temp 70% of the year. But I cannot cold crash or Lager without some equipment.

If I pick up say a Magic chef 7.2cf I feel that would take care of my Keezer.

I could lager in the 21cf chest freezer during the room temp ale months. Then do ales inside it during the warmer summer months. I just have no clue how I go about Cold crashing without buying a dedicated chest freezer for it.

What are some opinions on what I would like to do. Anyone have any ideas how I can accomplish my goal better?

honestly, if you're going to spend the cash for the MC, why bother with the 21cf? It's most likely an energy hog. How many carboys/buckets will you be lagering at one time? Since you're getting the MC that will hold 6 cornies, why not just put 5 taps and use the 6ths spot for crashing?

I have the 7.2 and only have room for a small collar. So I can only fit 4 kegs, and I have three taps. The other spot is for crashing and carbing.

B

If there is enough room to crash in the MC then that would work perfect. I see your point about the big 21cf guy. I will prob only be lagering 1 at a time. I see myself using it more to ferment my ales which I usually have 2-4 going at any given time. Having the ability to exactly control my fermentation year round sounds like it would be great.

I wonder how much work is involved in making a separate Lagering chamber in the 21cf freezer.

Back