No-Sparge BIAB Water Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'm about to try my first all-grain batch using the brew in a bag method. I plan on skipping the sparge, and mashing in the full volume of water that I need for a 5g batch. The problem is, I don't know how much water to start with. I've seen all sorts of ratios and figures to calculate water volume, but I'm not sure which to use for the no-sparge method. I don't know my boil-off rate (first time using my new kettle), but I do know that I'm using 9lbs. of grain. Should I assume a 1g boil-off rate? If that's the case, my pre-boil water volume needs to be 6g. But how do I account for grain absorption?

What amount of water would you use for a 9lb. grain bill?

Wow, that's a handy tool! According to the spreadsheet, I would need to start with 7.13 gallons of water. Do you squeeze the grain bag after letting it drain back into the kettle?

I generally squeeze the bag as much as possible, and also sparge most of the time. If I want to sparge, I just subtract ~2 gallons from the initial strike volume and sparge with that.

I've embed the spreadsheet on my blog, might be easier to use there.

http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

I'm seriously thinking of trying this as my first all grain Method... where does one get such a large bag?

I do a 90 minute boil and it takes 9 gallons to do a 1.055 ish gravity beer 5.5 gallons into the ferm. I figure close to a gallon lossed to grain even though I sqeeze nearly 2 gallons lossed in the 90 minute boil then there is the wort lossed in the lines of the chiller pump etc. That is just how it works out for me YMMV

or if you can sew or know someone that can... you can make a bag out of Voile.. it can be found at any fabric store in the drapery section.

as far as grain absorption, I use grain x .15 = absorption

for total volume I use final volume + absorption + boil off + trub loss = total volume. for MY kettle using a 9lb grain bill I would use 5 + 1.35 + 1 + .25 = 7.6 that would give me enough water to account for a higher than normal boil off (weather conditions change boil off rate) or a higher amount absorbed by grain or hops or if I get a higher amount of trub from hot break/cold break.

that calculator is a good tool to have a link to...thanks :D

Would it be safer to be on the lower side as far as water volume goes? That way, if my gravity is off, I can add water at the end make the gravity right? Technically, this wouldn't necessarily be a full-volume boil, but until I know how much water I boil off this may be the best way to go.

Also, if I do want to sparge, do I need to do a mash-out? And how long do I let the grains sit in the kettle with the sparging water?

Would it be safer to be on the lower side as far as water volume goes? That way, if my gravity is off, I can add water at the end make the gravity right? Technically, this wouldn't necessarily be a full-volume boil, but until I know how much water I boil off this may be the best way to go.

That should be fine. If you add to much, just crank the burner and boil for a little while longer, but that will change your bitterness.

jbrookeiv - isn't that bag too course? Voile is much finer and retains so much more of the grain and debris.

I'm seriously thinking of trying this as my first all grain Method... where does one get such a large bag?

I got into BIAB a while ago and it is my main method right now. I love it for it's simplicity! I spent some time coming up with a good bag design and put together a web site to sell them to those who want a bag custom made for their kettle and don't want to/can't sew. It is a strong bag with webbing at the top and handles which makes it easy to remove it or suspend it to drain.

http://bagbrewer.com/ This is the new site for brewinabag.weebly.com

I got into BIAB a while ago and it is my main method right now. I love it for it's simplicity! I spent some time coming up with a good bag design and put together a web site to sell them to those who want a bag custom made for their kettle and don't want to/can't sew. It is a strong bag with webbing at the top and handles which makes it easy to remove it or suspend it to drain.

http://brewinabag.weebly.com/

What is the material on the top of the bag and the handles, ElDude?

Back