A word about being organized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Since making the switch to All Grain brewing last year, I find that I have a lot more brewing "stuff" everywhere and it was starting to take over my basement and be really cluttered. I'm not the tidiest guy in the world to begin with (my wife would call this a massive understatement):D

But after several batches of running around the basement like a maniac looking for irish moss at the last minute or digging through unorganized bags of hops in the freezer, tripping over equipment, I decided enough was enough.

I went and bought a really nice organizing cabinet, tupperware containers and I labeled all of my equipment drawers, grains, and everything has a place.

It has made SUCH a difference in how much I want to brew and how less stressful brew day is. I know EXACTLY where everything is and it is awesome.

I'm sure most of you are really organized but for those that aren't, I highly recommend it. I didn't think I could like this hobby anymore than I do but I love it even more now!!:cross:

I'm a very unorganized person myself....but my brewing stuff... I'm anal about where everything is and labeled. After all, so much time (the money for ingredients don't bother me....but my time.....that's valuable to me) invested in brewing, racking, conditioning, cleaning, kegging/bottling.....I don't want a batch screwed up because I used the wrong hops or missed my temps because something is mislabeled or misplaced.....Drives the SWMBO crazy because like I said...my garage is a mess...but the corner that I brew in....spotless and everything in it's place....lol...

Just last night I found an old glass blowoff tube from like 12 years ago...still had hop/trub schmegma in it. PBW made it like new. Maybe there is something to this 'organization' thing.:D

Me too. I found that the key to my organization was to write my daily process down, step-by-step, regardless of how mundane a step is (e.g. "Pull brewstand out of garage.")

It may seem stupid but applying the principle of preparation before hand has reduced my all grain day from 7 hours down to 5 - in some extreme cases 4 - including set up and breakdown.

Im pretty unorganized myself, however, on brewday I wipe down the entire kitchen, and lay out any and all ingredients/tools/gadgets that I know I will use at some point. Makes for a very efficient brewday, as soon as I use something I clean it thoroughly and put it away - makes for a very short clean up afterward.

I can be pretty disorganized. I agree since going to all grain there are lots of parts and pieces, and testing instruments, and hoses, and adapters etc. I got a few containers to put like things together but I do not have the benefit of a garage or basement where I live, so it all goes into a closet. The problem is I can pack it all in there fairly neat, but then on brew day I have to dig everything out including the stuff I don't need on that day. That is just the nature of a closet I suppose. So the end result is half the stuff stays out of the closet in my dining room.

I keep telling the G/F I need a place with a big ole garage or outside structure so I can organize everything. I'm not convinced she believes it will be any more organized though, and frankly I'm not certain it would be either. :)

I'm a messy sumbitch. I don't think i can ever change that. :(

My car is parked on a half full garbage bag in the garage as I type this.

I am that way. Forcing myself to be organized on brewday is the biggest improvement I can make in my brewing. I want to build a shelf to store all of my stuff, but I also am making plans for a brewcart which would hold my stuff and be sort of portable. When in use, it separates into everything I need to brew on, stand, burner, etc. But when finished, I can put it all back together and store all of my necessaries in it. I'll probably still have need for a cabinet of some sort for some stuff, but most everything should be able to be put right back into the brew rig and pushed up against the wall and out of the way.

I seem to think I'm rather organized, but I still find myself searching for misplaced items - leaving it in the kitchen or the basement once I've cleaned it... I'm currently using an unused kitchen cart in my garage for my storage of brewing equipment. It's quite handy and holds most of my small equipment parts - a couple stainless steel shelves, a couple drawers, and perfect height for my converted cooler MT.
Speaking of basement...that could use some tiding up. Once my primary is ready to go I lug the bucket downstairs and all my fermenters seem to gather around the landing of the basement stairs. Me = lazy to carry it another 10 or so feet (while meandering through my isles of crap) so it's out of the way. The day I learn will be the day I trip over a fermenter and destroy batch or two of tasty homebrew. :drunk:

I'm anal about where everything is...

Yikes! Remind me never to borrow your chiller. [ducks]

I'm pretty unorganized but I have an ingredient pile. That makes it easier. And I usually do a good equipment round up and cleaning the night before. But even with that, my organization skills were challenged last weekend when I did 2x5gallon all-grain batches simultaneously. I could've organized far better than I did and it would've helped there until I get my double-barrel 5 gallon routine down.

I've got all of the small stuff in a big tackle box and I mean all, o-rings and connectors to Irish Moss and acid blend.

After the pile of bagged grains got about knee high, I organized them like this (my grain closet).
I keep the equipment outside under a covered patio.
P9120001.JPG

I am going to begin Bar planning soon and plan on designing to accept my (once completed) electric brewery and storage. or at least Grain Storage. I am currently Psuedo organized. I have a cart for all my brew day equipment. IT stays there before/during/after brewing.

After the pile of bagged grains got about knee high, I organized them like this (my grain closet).
I keep the equipment outside under a covered patio.
P9120001.JPG

That's a pretty sweet grain selection there guy.

The SWMBO was giving me grief about this last night. I am going to head to Smart and Final today to find some decent bins. Thanks for the further motivation and inspiration!

Damn that is a mighty fine selection of grains you got there dude.

I've got two big tupperware containers- one holds everything for brewday, the other has everything for bottling and yeast washing. The only shared piece of equipment is the spray bottle of star san. I keep all my pots, MT, etc. in the garage, so I just grab the right tub and I know it's got everything I need.

Back