re-activate my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveORyan

Reaction score
I messed up on the packaged liquid yeast. I thought I had the innner packet broken open and the stuff was mixing, but when I opened it up and poured it in the wort, I found I was wrong. Its been a week, and I'm seeing absolutely no action in my airlock. I had assumed the yeast could find itself and activate in the wort even though I hadn't properly mixed it beforehand. Also, I'm fermenting the whole thing in the fridge, would that make it take this long? Am I totally screwed? Can I activate the yeast somehow? Can I properly introduce some new yeast and have everything be ok? What would happen with the stuff I already put in there?

I'm guessing if you're fermenting in the fridge without an external controller the yeast is asleep. What is the operating temperature range on the pack for the yeast you used? You're probably well below it.

Sorry, I didn't quite catch the scenario. Did you open the inner packet manually and pour in the yeast? The stuff in the outer packet is basically just a nutrient solution (basically wort) there is no magic to it.

What yeast are you using? what is its temp range. are you getting any yeast settling in the bottom of the fermentor.

Yes you may need to bring the whole thing up to temp, aerate it and get the yeast multiplying again.

I'm pretty sure the smack pack says that the inner pack is the nutrient.

What kind of lager yeast is it? It is lager yeast right? If not the lowest active temp on most ales yeasts is something like 60 degrees.

Even with it being lager yeast you would never want to pitch directly without using a starter. With lagers people tend to pitch over a gallon of starter.

Back