beer for charity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Just a note to ya'll.

We do an annual charity auction at my office for United Way. This year I donated 12 champagne bottles of appelwein & also the "home brew experience" where I go to the lucky winner's house and brew them an extract batch (not ready to take AG on the road...)

Well, the appelwein fetched $250, and the "homebrew experience" $300.

I'm pretty proud of myself - the ability to give back to the community a bit with my crazy hobby. :rockin:

Most all of our brewouts are charity driven. This allows us to write off the beer we donate and the ingredients we brew onsite. It's a great feeling to raise money for a good charity coupled with the taste of homebrew.:mug:

That's great!

You get to give something back, and go introduce someone to homebrewing.

Do you leave the fermenter at their house and go back and bottle in a few weeks?

That's pretty cool, Trance. It would be interesting to see the write-ups/introductions of each one (I don't know what they call that... whatever the auctioneer says about the item before accepting bids).

That's great!

You get to give something back, and go introduce someone to homebrewing.

Do you leave the fermenter at their house and go back and bottle in a few weeks?

that's the idea. I think it'll be more fun for them to do it that way. Just have to convince him to leave the airlock on the entire time! I'll just tell him it'll be completely ruined if he takes it off.

haha You'll go back and it'll be half empty with a pellicle on top. He'll say, It used to taste good, but started getting worse after nearly every glass. You made me bad beer! I paid $300 for gross beer?!

But kudos to you, great donations.

Great idea, but the United Way as choice of a "good" charity?!?! I am sure Ms. King appreciates your contribution to her retirement instead of wasting it on those pesky "needy people". Sorry, but I hate the United Way...
Quote:
"United Way President and CEO Gloria Pace King has hired prominent Charlotte lawyer Bill Diehl to represent her in negotiations with her board of directors stemming from the growing controversy over her pay and benefits.
The board added $822,000 to King's retirement benefits last year, a six-fold increase over the $108,000 paid in 2006. It plans to pay between $450,000 and $500,000 into her retirement account each year for the next three years.
King's salary and bonus make her the fourth-highest-paid United Way executive, according to an Observer survey of 32 agencies. Only the United Ways in New York, Detroit and Miami pay more."

Kudos to you personally though. I admire your desire to give back.

Great idea, but the United Way as choice of a "good" charity?!?! I am sure Ms. King appreciates your contribution to her retirement instead of wasting it on those pesky "needy people". Sorry, but I hate the United Way...
Quote:
"United Way President and CEO Gloria Pace King has hired prominent Charlotte lawyer Bill Diehl to represent her in negotiations with her board of directors stemming from the growing controversy over her pay and benefits.
The board added $822,000 to King's retirement benefits last year, a six-fold increase over the $108,000 paid in 2006. It plans to pay between $450,000 and $500,000 into her retirement account each year for the next three years.
King's salary and bonus make her the fourth-highest-paid United Way executive, according to an Observer survey of 32 agencies. Only the United Ways in New York, Detroit and Miami pay more."

Holy, crap! :drunk:

Quote:

I'm torn on this issue myself. On the one hand, it seems that this is a lot of money for a non-profit to be paying their executive staff. On the other hand, given the size of the organization, they have to offer competitive salaries and benefits to attract the "right" executive talent, so to some degree they have to pay the going rate.

It would be extremely hard for them to attract and keep good talent if they were paying pennies on the dollar compared with other companies.

Nicely done with the contributation...
I offered to brew a batch for a local charity (friend of a friend of ... has xx cancer), but was turned away because they were having the fund raiser in a church....

appearantly I need to make friends with the catholics in order to pawn my beers :)

but again, way to give back to your local community and to the homebrew community as well!!

I'm torn on this issue myself. On the one hand, it seems that this is a lot of money for a non-profit to be paying their executive staff. On the other hand, given the size of the organization, they have to offer competitive salaries and benefits to attract the "right" executive talent, so to some degree they have to pay the going rate.

It would be extremely hard for them to attract and keep good talent if they were paying pennies on the dollar compared with other companies.

I thought about that last night too. It seems an awful large jump in money in a very short time, but what if this is performance based? What if the bonus is tied to raising much more for the cause? That information is not mentioned.

And, at any rate, is the homebrew usually auctioned in kegs or bottles?

Back