Can I still oxygenate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
I brewed an American Amber yesterday (OG around 1.054), pitched yeast (from a starter) last night around 8pm. This morning there was still no sign of fermentation so I went to work thinking well that is a bit odd, but not all that concerned. So over lunch as I was reading HBT I came across a post about oxygenating wort. Then it hit me $#*$ ... I forget to oxygenate. So when I get home from work can I go shake the hell outta the carboy or is nearly 24hrs after pitching the yeast too long. I know that at some point after fermentation begins introducing oxygen is a bad thing, so I guess I just don't know if I am past that point yet or not. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Was this an extract or all grain? If it was extract, chances are excellent that there is enough oxygen in your top of water to get things going. Also, lag times in excess of 24 hours are not at all uncommon. Don't sweat it!

Sorry, that was a pretty big detail to leave out. . . It was AG, so a full boil (a little over 60 minutes). In addition the wort was siphoned into the carboy so little to no splashing there to add in oxygen. I am not real worried about the lag time, I am more worried about stressing the yeast and creating off flavors or getting bad attenuation or a stuck ferment. I also don't want to add in oxygen and create off flavors if it is too late to go home and shake up the carboy. Just really not sure at this point what to do.

If fermentation has not started, the yeast are still multiplying and oxygenating is ok.

I use little oxygen tanks and I would hit it ASAP. I have heard that you are supposed to oxygenate again 8 hours later or so when using oxygen but I never have.

Back