Extract Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimrod3388

Reaction score
9.9# John Bull light extract syrup
.5# toasted malted barley (8 min)
1.5oz Mt.Hood (boiling)5.2AA
.5oz Hallertaur (flavor)4.4AA
1 oz Strisselpart (flavor)2.6AA
Oktoberfest yeast with small starter
O.G. 1.074-1.076

2 Weeks today, starting gravity 1.032-1.034

I'm expecting this brew to have the "twang" and all though the recipe doesnt call for dry hopping, I wanted to dry hop with .5 oz Mt Hood once I rack to secondary in order to add flavor and counterbalance the sweetness. Can I mask this extract flavor with the hops by dry hopping? Also, it doesnt worry me that this isnt a traditional practice for the brew style.

You didn't even taste it yet, why would you assume it will have extract twang? There are many extract brewers who make award winning brews with extract and have absolutely no twang, most extract brews are indistinguishable if you brewed them properly with fresh ingredients.

Nimrod3388 said:
Can I mask this extract flavor with the hops by dry hopping? Also, it doesnt worry me that this isnt a traditional practice for the brew style.
You should dry hop if you like the aroma of hops. It isn't going to mask any twang that's there, but as SB says, I wouldn't assume you'll have any off-flavors until you've tried it.

Back