Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This one's gonna end my day of commercial beer tasting. I've spread them out across a few hours, so each beer has been fairly "fresh" on my palate. I've had the 120 before, but I was a little drunk by the time I got to it, so I'm sipping this one sober (won't be sober by the bottom of the pint).

Appearance:
Standard DFH 12 oz bottle and label. Deep gold/light amber color, quite cloudy, thin head, not much lace.

Aroma:
This may sound strange, but I get a very strong molasses nose. Despite the heavy hopping, the sweet caramel/malty notes really dominate the aroma. Dark fruit is also present with a strong hints of date, fig, and raisin. American hops are there, but the spicy citrus notes take a backseat to the malt.

Flavor:
Much like the nose. Very sweet, deep fruit and caramel throughout. Bitterness is quite subdued for the advertised 120 IBUs. You really have to concentrate to taste any citrus/spice notes from the hops, though I'm sure they're responsible for some of the fruitiness. Little alcohol bite despite the high ABV.

Mouthfeel:
Thick - almost syrupy with moderate carbonation. Very little heat from the alcohol.

Drinkability:
1/2 a bottle is plenty! It's certainly a unique experience, but it's not one that you need to repeat often. I can enjoy this beer, but I probably won't have another anytime soon.
Expensive pricetag at over $15 for a single! (I actually had to talk the "beer guy" at the store into getting one from the store's "private stock" for me)

Yuri, I agreed 99.9%

I have been lucky enough to try this beer at $11.00 a bottle.

I got two a few days ago for the cellar at $8 something a bottle. Guess it was a good deal. I have not tried this beer yet, going to give it some time, just because I guess.

A brewer friend and I have both tried this and agree, it needs MONTHS in the cellar. Way Way too sweet. No notable hops aromas.

A year or two would do this a whole passel of good.

I have a bottle in my cellar that is about a year old. I am itching to try it again now that you posted this... I got this straight from DFH Rehoboth for $10 last spring and have put off the temptation... until Easter! ;)

Mine says, "Age to a decade..." on the label. Is this the normal label?

The Age A Decade thing is standard on all labels. I would like to seewhat this would tast like after 5+ years of aging, I was not fond of it after a month in my basement.

I would think the longer aged, the less hop character there is... Kind of defeats the purpose of 120 Minute IPA I think... And probably makes it even sweeter than Yuri is talking.

I haven't drank it out of plain laziness really, not particularly trying to age mine. I'll drink it soon since I am going back to DFH in May and can pick up more if it is OK...

The quote from my bottle is:

What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so.

It is not the hoppiness that came off as offensive to me. I am a huge PA, IPA, and IIPA fan, my experience with 120 was not good. I have had 90 off the Randall in Rahobeth, and that was very impressive.

Yuri_Rage said:
The quote from my bottle is:

What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so.

What a waste of hops. I did not care for this beer either. Way too sweet, borderline undrinkable IMO.

Yeah I don't understand either....
If it is supposed to be so hoppy then why do they want you to age it when that will undoubtedly decrease the hoppiness.

On that note, I have a 12oz bottle available for interesting trades.

I finally had this, and i'm disappointed. To me it was more of a dessert wine....way to sweet and syrupy.

Beerrific said:
On that note, I have a 12oz bottle available for interesting trades.

I have been trying unsucessfully to get my hands on a bottle of this for a while. If you still have it available, I would trade anything I could find around my parts of N.C.

Otherwise, I will just keep my eyes open here...

9/9- PM me if you would like to swap. My local beer store always has it on hand. I have 6 in the cellar currently and would not mind letting one or two go.

chadley said:
9/9- PM me if you would like to swap. My local beer store always has it on hand. I have 6 in the cellar currently and would not mind letting one or two go.

Message sent.

I kindnda liked it, but I was also several drinks into the night, and am NOT a fan of IPAs in general, so the sweetness overpowering the hops was fine with me. :)

SUre wouldn't buy it myself, at that price, but sine cousin's boyfriend was buying, I figured I'd drink whatever he wanted to get. :)

Back