Experimental Beer Grandpa Willies Hard Root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you use more brown sugar instead of honey? All I can find is clover honey and it gave mine a weird flavor. Also I never got any bottles to carb. They have been sitting out for about 10 days.

Grandpa Willies Hard Root Beer

---Primary---
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
4 oz brown sugar
4 oz lactose
1 pound light DME
Nottingham Ale Yeast

Boil DME, brown sugar, and lactose with about 4 cups water. Pour in primary. Add nutrient and energizer. Top off. Let cool and pitch yeast. Ferment for 5-7 days. Stabilize (if kegging). Wait another week.

---Before Kegging---
1 cup sugar boiled in 1 cup water
5 1/2 oz wildflower honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp root beer extract (McCormick)

Boil sugar and add to bottling bucket. Then add honey (warm it so its easier to pour) and the extracts. Let cool and add primary. Pour in Keg or bottles.

If bottling, let carb and put in fridge so the yeast doesn't continue to carb and over carbonate bottles

How much liquid is used to 'top off' the primary? I'm doing a 3gal batch in a 5 gallon carboy that doesn't have lines to show liquid level.

This is my first batch of homebrew and realize this was a mistake not figuring this out beforehand.

I have made this a few times. It seems that the last few batches have separated and the root beer has settled to the bottom of the bottles. Shake them and they taste great. I was wondering if anyone would have a thought that may help to limit the separation issues?

I have made this a few times. It seems that the last few batches have separated and the root beer has settled to the bottom of the bottles. Shake them and they taste great. I was wondering if anyone would have a thought that may help to limit the separation issues?

Never made this but I've experienced it in kegs
I have a couple bourbon beers I've done that require shaking the keg to keep the bourbon from stratifying to the top. It's just gravity. Can't change it.
Now, you could just pour your bottles into a pint. Would be fine then.

Well I know this is an older post, but I had just made and bottled this. Completely new to brewing still. After about 8-9 hours of carbing in bottles, they were all actually over carbed. Do I just need to uncap and recap as I did or is there an infection. As I’m not sure what these “gusher” terms are.
For example, I tried open my test bottle and it all quickly rises to top so I rescrew cap. To be sure I tried beer bottle and it all started over pouring the sides.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Also, I was extremely careful to sanitize everything. The only thing I could think of is when I realized I forgot the vanilla I opened all the bottles. Put in 1/10ths of vanilla in each and recapped

Also, I was extremely careful to sanitize everything. The only thing I could think of is when I realized I forgot the vanilla I opened all the bottles. Put in 1/10ths of vanilla in each and recapped

How did this batch come out? Im interested to hear

Back