i made a mistake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DashCooper

Reaction score
ok, so in my first batches I didn't realize I was supposed to let oxygen access the must for a few days. I mixed it, and capped it. now the fermentation has stopped after 7 days.
Would it be a mistake at this point to mix in some oxygen to restart the fermentation process? I've heard adding oxegen can "skunk" the brew.
I have yet to take a gravity reading, but based on the yeast I used I'm almost positive that it has room to go..

thoughts?

How does it smell? I would think you need to get some oxygen to the yeast and see if they can recoup enough to consume the sugars. What is your recipe(s)? Have you added any nutrients?

Ed

Go ahead and add oxygen. That should restart it.
Also add some yeast nutrient and yeast enegizer to help it.

it smells good. my 5 gallon batch is an orange vanilla clove mix with 3.5 lbs of honey per gallon. I added nutrient after I dropped the fruit (I let it sit in the must for a few days.) used mead yeast.
The one gallon was with champaign yeast and has 3lbs of honey and 4 oz of ginger root. this one has been Gung-ho from the start. I haven't checked t at all, and in fact it might be close to done... but again I have no experience to back up that suspicion.

If this mead has been going for a few days already, the DO NOT add oxygen. You will most likely ruin your brew. Mead takes a while to ferment, and if you had some initial fermenting, then it probably had "enough" oxygen. Not an idea amount maybe, but it is too late to worry about that.

If you want to help it out, you could try giving it a gentle stir to see if CO2 is released. This can lower the pH of the must and slow things down, or even stop the process. You should also make sure that the brew is warm enough, but not too warm. Each yeast has it's own ideal fermentation temperatures. A quick google search should get you that info. If it is too cold, things will slow down or stop.

Forget about adding oxygen for this batch, but try to remember it for the next one.

The only exception would be if your brew really hasn't dropped below the 3/4 sugar break yet (I personally try to keep oxygen out shortly before the 1/2 sugar break). If you have your OG and SG reading we can confirm that this isn't the case.

If you brew is slowing down, a little yeast nutrients can really do wonders. Have you added any nutrients yet?

I have yet to take a gravity reading, but based on the yeast I used I'm almost positive that it has room to go..

thoughts?

You cannot judge fermentation on airlock activity or number of days...use your hydrometer. I do not introduce 02 once I am past the maximum of 10 days or 2/3 sugar break, whichever comes first. Nutrients are split in two doses, at start and 1/3 sugar break...you can OD on them.

*update*

The 5 gallon batch started again all on it's own.. Im going to leave it I think. there's quite a bit of headspace since I transferred from a bucket to a carboy.
I checked the gravity of the gallon batch. it's finished. S.G. read 1.003 after adjustment, which is a little drier than I wanted it. It sits at 12% alcohol.
As it sits to clear I'm deciding if I want to back-sweeten or not.

that gallon batch finished in 10 days... I'm guessing it needs to sit and mellow for a while.. :)

Does every mead need to oxygenate? Ive been making mine, id use water right from faucet, mix all into carboy. leave some headspace, cap it up and shake like hell to mix the honey with the water/juice i chose. Then id uncap and airlock it...every day or so, i give it a swirl with the airlock on..should i open them up to give a little bit of oxygen? or whats the deal

Take it from me, after 2/3 sugar depletion you should add marbles or whatever to decrease the headspace in that carboy as much as possible. I ruined a batch of Caramel Apple Mead by letting it sit in a carboy with lots o' headspace for about 6 months. All that waiting, for a wasted batch of crap. Unwanted overpowering sherry overtones in an otherwise magnificent apple-y caramel-y vanilla-y concoction. Hey, speaking of that, Caramel Apple Mead sounds like it would be delicious (if done right)!

I'll do what I can to reduce the headspace.. though I'm not sure what yet.. marbles just seems to be asking for trouble though..

any other ideas? I guess I could buy a smaller carboy..

I'll do what I can to reduce the headspace.. though I'm not sure what yet.. marbles just seems to be asking for trouble though..

any other ideas? I guess I could buy a smaller carboy..

Marbles work fine as long as you sanitize them first. You could also add more juice. This will cause fermentation to pick up again, but at least you aren't at as big of a risk of ruining your brew

to top up, either add more juice (which will continue fermenting), add a wine that is close in flavor so it doesnt alter the brew too much.

I mixed up some must with the same honey:H2O mix as the original and brought the level to about 4 inches below the airlock.
I checked gravity.. almost the exact same as it was 2 days ago when I checked it, which means that yeast is still working hard.
the taste is A-FRIGGIN-MAZING!

I can't wait to try this a month or two (or even a year) after its been bottled. I'm shooting for 12% alchohol. it's at 10% now. sooooo good.

Back