WTF Happened To BTV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved btv and the old setup you guys had. Sorry to hear a couple of the guys arent with you anymore. However Chips still there so I will still watch.

I loved quite a few episodes, the altbier Q&A episode was amazing, decoction episode, ice fishing episode, I cant get over the graf episode, and finallt watching chip dance and sing to his brew kettle had me rolling on the floor.

If you guys are looking for ideas, maybe small batch brewing episodes, using adjuncts, brewing on the cheap, or some fruit wine episodes. I just hope all the new ones are blichman, hop union, insert primo priced merch here. Its cool to watch every once in awhile, but if it all just becomes a primo product pimp or speaker pushing comercail.. it will lose alot of its fun

Just a couple cool suggestions. Brewtv/northernbrewer contest. Everyone buys a certain nb kit, say caribou slobber, and we change one ingredient, send one bottle in, NB does a taste and Winner gets northern brewer gift card. You can make contest into one long episode or drag it out over a couple. Or a cool idea is to have us as a homebrew community send in videos about weird techniques or maybe start busting all the beer myths like whether or not it's okay to squeeze grain bag. Sorry for the drunken ramblings. Just very frustrated with JK and MD for leaving and want chip to continue.

:tank:
AFBBFA

Just read on the NB forum a post by a guy that has a friend works at NB. The friend said Chip recently announced he is leaving NB. There goes BTV. What the heck is going on at NB? Lots of talented people have left there. Jake Keeler, Mike Dawson, Juno Choi, and now maybe Chip too. Wow.

Just read on the NB forum a post by a guy that has a friend works at NB. The friend said Chip recently announced he is leaving NB. There goes BTV. What the heck is going on at NB? Lots of talented people have left there. Jake Keeler, Mike Dawson, Juno Choi, and now maybe Chip too. Wow.

Yeah, someone posted that on Friday. Sad if it's true.

Wow. Not gonna lie, ever since Dawson and Keeler left (and they got rid of brewsaver shipping) I don't do much online business with NB. Brewing TV was one of the reasons I supported NB.

I spent time seriously pricing out a recipe at multiple HBS and NB no longer has a price advantage for me and I was supporting BTV as well. Looks like my business is going t start being a little more local (if 2 hours away is local).

I'm not gonna lie, I've never been a fan of the NB stores. They remind me of a trendy mall store, everything's hard to find because of the store layout (like Abercrombie or something) and the employees for the most part seem somewhat aloof. Like a mall store, ya get the greeter when you walk in, and then a row of shoulder to shoulder polo shirt clad clerks at the checkout. Given the choice between them and Midwest as "LHBS", I've always gone to the latter.
That said, I've been a big fan of BTV since I started brewing. I learned a ton from watching Keeler and Dawson, and Chip. If this rumor about Chip turns out to be true, it'll be a sad day. I don't think any of the other employees at either the St. P or Mpls stores would be good replacements. I don't mean any of this to offend any NB employees that may read this, it's just my observations and opinions as a customer.

I, for one, am waiting for someone in the loop (Chip, DonO) to chime in on this, and hope it isn't true. If it is, it's sucks.

Chip whatever you'll do. And if those rumors are true - don't forget about us!!!
Get together, on some new vidcast, with SchlossDawson, Keeler, DonO, BadAssBrewer ;) - and keep on spreadin homebrewing looove ;P It will be awesomeness again!
People saw, that something went south in BTV after those episodes with NB products placement !
Cheers & Brew Strooong!!

With that type of talent, you have to expect that are all destined to move on to bigger and better things.
I don't see any point to speculating about the parting of ways. It's easy to imagine yourself in their shoes and draw the conclusion that some greedy soul-less corporate force is to blame. The fact is, we don't know that, and it's none of our business anyway.
There's no reason for this to affect your loyalty to NB. If you have other reasons, fine, but lets not forget who was responsible for bankrolling BTV in the first place.
If it is indeed over, yeah, that sucks, but I am forever grateful to NB and the original spirit responsible for getting me into the hobby.

lets not forget who was responsible for bankrolling BTV in the first place.

Is this actually true? I may have just imagined it, but I was under the impression that BrewingTV was started independently by Jake and Dawson and then they joined up with Northern Brewer at some point along the way. Did I make that up?

Maybe those of us not in the loop (all of us) should wait for Chip or DonO to chime back in on the thread. Both have quelled all the chatter before by telling us all the real story, I'm guessing we'll hear from them both again.

To the guy above... I've never had any loyalty to NB. As stated above I dislike their store(s) and don't shop there. It's not about this or anything else other than that I don't care for their store(s), I've never liked their store and have only shopped there twice. I am, however, a supporter of BTV and hope these rumors (that's all they are at this point) aren't true. If they are, I will still continue to be a supporter of the guys that brought us that show in their future ventures.

Both have quelled all the chatter before by telling us all the real story...

I'd like a link to THAT! :) So far nobody has even hinted at the real story. Just the last page of the book... nothing of substance.

Not that it's any of our business. But even the most die-hard drama-haters among us want the juicy details to this one.

I'd like a link to THAT! :) So far nobody has even hinted at the real story. Just the last page of the book... nothing of substance.

Not that it's any of our business. But even the most die-hard drama-haters among us want the juicy details to this one.

Read back in this thread. Both Chip and Don Osborne have posted about BTV. No one's going to tell you anything about anybody's personal reasons for things, but one of those guys could probably tell more of the story than "Some guy on some forum said his friend who works at NB...."

No one's going to tell you anything about anybody's personal reasons for things...

Nope, which is what we'd all secretly love to know. But it's probably for the best, since the silence = left on bad terms with tension between them.

Oh well, hopefully all 3 make a return in some other way. Hell, you can make good money with a very successful YouTube channel, maybe they could even do that. These guys inspired me to get back into brewing after a long depressing hiatus of wheat/gluten intolerance. I never would have started reading the forums, discovered Clarity-Ferm, and started brewing again without stumbling upon their show on my Roku.

Any chance of a reunion episode. Maybe Mike and Jake could update us on what they're doing now? Does anyone know what they're up to? Just curious.

Happy Brew Year

"Chop & Brew is a blog and webshow about life’s great food and fermentations. A large focus will be on homebrewing of all sorts – extract, partial mash, BIAB, and all-grain; ales, lagers, and experimental brews. C&B will also feature and highlight other home fermentations such as wine, mead, sake and kombucha. And we’ll also talk about cooking, barbecuing, grilling, roasting, smoking, curing, freezing — and the spaces wherein food and fermentation meet."

Sounds to me like Chip has picked up the BTV torch. I will definitely be following that blog.

It is true. I have moved on from Northern Brewer. But I have all the AV Gear minus a computer to edit on so Chop & Brew will carry that torch.
I don't want to get into all the hows and why of my past life. I just want to move on and helpe homebrewers and food nerds celebrate their passions. That is my goal. Hope you all come along with me/us and share your ideas for episodes!
Chip @ C&B!
http://chopandbrew.com/

Subbed and liked on everything I could. I can't wait to see what you guys can do with the reigns off, so to speak.

It is true. I have moved on from Northern Brewer. But I have all the AV Gear minus a computer to edit on so Chop & Brew will carry that torch.
I don't want to get into all the hows and why of my past life. I just want to move on and helpe homebrewers and food nerds celebrate their passions. That is my goal. Hope you all come along with me/us and share your ideas for episodes!
Chip @ C&B!

I would maybe start a fresh thread with your new endeavor as it might get lost in this one.

Very excited about Chop and Brew and also happy to subscribe to DonO's channel, and find Dawson's blog.

Without BTV I never would have started brewing, so I'm happy all of my favorites are back in one way or another.

Cheers!

Chip @ C&B!

Good luck Chip - knock 'em dead!

Awesome news! Will Keeler and Dawson be making appearances with you?

Maybe sometime down the road? We are still good friends and beer-drinking buddies. But like the kids like to say these days "It's complicated." Keep your eyes peeled. Follow Chop & Brew on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc... follow Jake on Twitter (@JakeDKeeler) and at his blog (http://20acrecarcass.com/) and Dawson at this blog (http://thebeerengineblog.com/). We all have our own stuff going on, but if something Voltron-esque occurs, you'll find it there.

Latest posts

Back