Too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, it's better to overpitch than to underpitch. From what I know of yeast, which is not a ton, the only pitfalls I can think of would be a lack of yeast character in the beer. Many of the yeast flavors and esters are produced right away during reproduction so if you are overpitching their will be less reproduction which would mean less yeast character. This would be mostly a problem if you are using a yeast that contributes a lot to the finished product and less a problem f you are using something super clean and crisp. I think at least, would like to here someone else's opinion or at least validation of my theory.

First off, it's better to overpitch than to underpitch. From what I know of yeast, which is not a ton, the only pitfalls I can think of would be a lack of yeast character in the beer. Many of the yeast flavors and esters are produced right away during reproduction so if you are overpitching their will be less reproduction which would mean less yeast character. This would be mostly a problem if you are using a yeast that contributes a lot to the finished product and less a problem f you are using something super clean and crisp. I think at least, would like to here someone else's opinion or at least validation of my theory.

Great point.
I would just add that overpitching can result in off flavors caused by autolysis.
But as said, if yeast is suppose to be neutral they it is better to overpitch, on other side flavors in some beers cannot be purchased without yeast character (eg. hefeweizen).

100% over, or 50% under probably doesn't make much difference.

Over-pitch too much and the yeast will not fully reproduce and you will be making beer with old yeast. You run the risk of having a stalled ferment.

Back