What makes an IPL different then an IPA... yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeblue2k

Reaction score
So I had my first taste of an IPL over the weekend and thought I would see if I could come up with a batch. So my main question, what makes an IPL different from an IPA? Is it just that you use Lager yest instead of Ale?

Been trying to find a good base recipe to start with, anyone have any recommendations on a IPL?

Did you have Fathom from Ballast Point? (I am in SD too, by MV) That is a FANTASTIC beer. I am getting ready to do a IPL as soon as my other Lager is done. I am going to use one of my other IPA recipies, but instead of ale yeast, just lager like a lager.

I love this kind of stuff. We've got dark IPAs now. An IPL would be great to try. I'd love to see someone come up with a light colored stout. It'd be like Crystal Pepsi. Mmm, delicious.

Did you have Fathom from Ballast Point? (I am in SD too, by MV) That is a FANTASTIC beer. I am getting ready to do a IPL as soon as my other Lager is done. I am going to use one of my other IPA recipies, but instead of ale yeast, just lager like a lager.

No it was actually up at Pizza Port San Clanmente, I believe it was called Claudies IPL.

Cool. I haven't been up that way. I will add that to the list. Thats why I asked, Fathom hasn't been on tap for a few months, but it was fantastic (I live 2 miles from Ballast Point so I am there about twice a week buying/tasting ****).

Never had one and never brewed but I would think you would need a massive amount of hops to survive the lagering period. Hop heavy beers are generally better young and lagers are not "young" beers. I would think this would be a style that would require several batches to get just right.

Seems weird to me that an IPL would be worth the extra effort. Most american hops give off a citrusy/fruity aroma and flavor as it is and I would think that using a clean ale yeast would produce minimal enough esters that they would be masked just as well as using a lager yeast. Also, like rjwhite said, IPAs are meant to be consumed young and by adding the extra lagering time you'd be doing a disservice to the fresh hop flavor and aromas.

my 2c

Seems weird to me that an IPL would be worth the extra effort. Most american hops give off a citrusy/fruity aroma and flavor as it is and I would think that using a clean ale yeast would produce minimal enough esters that they would be masked just as well as using a lager yeast. Also, like rjwhite said, IPAs are meant to be consumed young and by adding the extra lagering time you'd be doing a disservice to the fresh hop flavor and aromas.

my 2c

You could always add a ton of dry hops to it in the keg, around 1oz per gallon. That would allow you to lager it properly and give you a ton of hop aroma.

Is there a particular issue with dry hopping after/at the end of lagering? This would allow you to do your bulk conditioning and retain more of your dry hop characteristic.

No there wouldn't be any problem with dry hopping after lagering. I think where you need to use a lot of hops would be in the boil. Especially, flavor hops, since you will be aging this for 3 months or so.

So the Schmaltz Brewing Co (makers of He'brew line) also make the Coney Island beers, and a lot of those are lagers. I went to a Coney Island tasting and it was pretty interesting to try the IPL.

I'd say the biggest difference is that the ale yeast really pumps up the fruitiness of the hops, while a lager makes the bitterness a little crisper and smoother.

I think some of the lighter floral hops would be great for an IPL, like maybe Sorachi's lemony aromas.

Back