Too long in fermetation bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajao44

Reaction score
I've had the Ethiopian mead in a fermentation bucket for a little less than 3 weeks and I plan on cold crashing it for another two weeks in the same bucket. Would about 5 weeks be too long in the bucket? I can't move it to a carboy both my glass carboys are full right now bad planning on my part I guess. Will I get a plastic taste?

i think the cold temperatures will help you extend the time it spends in the primary (safely). are you worried about plastic taste from the bucket or band aid flavor from the yeast?

I just bottled a beer that stayed 5.5 months in a bucket. No Issues at all. Many of us leave our beers and such in primary for a month minimum. So you will be fine.

More the bucket plastic taste. I was thinking the same it wouldn't be as much of a worry in cold. Like what Revvy said I've read that its no problem to let it stay in primary. I'm on my 8th brew and most of my first ones I racked as soon as the airlock stopped bubbling and the FG was right. So I'm seeing if the last few brews I've tried have better outcomes from letting them go a bit longer before bottling. Luckily no bottle bombs or any problems but I think I could have let a few go bit longer. Thanks for the replies.

Back