Making swing top champagne bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafBrew

Reaction score
So, this is something I've been kicking around for a while. A while back, a friend of mine gave me a used champagne bottle: Toad Hollow Risque and thought I could use it for homebrewing. I thought that was a swell idea. So I used it a few times before I really payed closer attention to it. What I discovered is that it's just a regular wine/champagne bottle with a sort of metal collar that fits around the neck. The collar has holes to hold in place a swing top bale. Of course, I immediately saw potential for reproducing this on a large scale. I'm sick of buying 4 packs of Grolsch swing top bottles for 10 bucks.

The problem I've run into is the collar. I'm not sure what the hell it is. It easily snaps off into two separate pieces, like a sort of pinch clamp, but for the life of me I cannot find it on the net. Here's some close-up pictures. Sorry about the quality and size. I used my crappy cellphone camera:
nz0ugi.jpg
And snapped off:
x28irq.jpg

If anyone has any idea what this is, and better yet, where I can get a bunch of them, I'd be very grateful. I've thought about emailing the winery, Toad Hollow, to ask them about their bottle supplier. I doubt they'll really be able to tell me anything, but I guess it's worth a shot.

If I can't get my hands on these little collar things, I'll probably end up using some cheap 1-ear pinch clamps and drill holes into them to hold the bales in place.

If anyone else has done a project like this, please report on methods. Thanks!

not sure what that is called, but someone with a cnc machine should be able to bust out a ton of those and then you just need to roll them to get that curve. i would go to a couple of metal working shops in your area and take it with you, tell them you want like 100 of them and see what they can do for you.

smaller pics please

nobody wants to wait 10 min

Sorry, didn't realize people were still using dial-up ISP. :D j/k I used my cam phone, so...

not sure what that is called, but someone with a cnc machine should be able to bust out a ton of those and then you just need to roll them to get that curve. i would go to a couple of metal working shops in your area and take it with you, tell them you want like 100 of them and see what they can do for you.

Hmm, I'll look into that, but one thing that is tricky is that the little "tabs" are punched out with a slope so that they lock into the corresponding side.

I think I might just use some pinch clamps and drill my own holes. Won't look as slick as these, but will work fine.

Thanks for the reply.

maybe try contacting this guy...

[email protected]
www.unitedbottles.com
(450.622.1600 ext.243)

he posts on probrewer
http://probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19580

Yes!

Excellent. Thank you. I think we're getting somewhere here.

I'm waiting to hear back, but if anyone is interested in a group buy on these swing top stoppers and neck clips (turn any bottle into a swing stop!), keep your eyes open. I'll be posting more information as soon as I hear back.

Thanks to all!

Have never used these before but ran across them looking for something similar. Nearly identical to the neck clips.

http://www.bottless.net/Clip_N_Clamp_Swing_Top_Bottle_Hardware_s/571.htm

I've been going back-and-forth with that company for 2 weeks now trying to order these... no one knows if they have any, and no one knows if/when they can get any...

If I ever am able to get my hands on any, I'll try to remember to post back here - they seem like a great product (if they work as advertised).

I wonder if WineisRed ever got his hand on those clap N' clamp swingtops?

I'm thinking about ordering some. That way I don't have to worry about giving away my nice bottles.

I wonder if WineisRed ever got his hand on those clap N' clamp swingtops?

I'm thinking about ordering some. That way I don't have to worry about giving away my nice bottles.

I ran across a simmilar product yesterday while browsing Ebay.
Search for EZ Cap and they will show up.

Latest posts

Back