Buying grape plants in Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japhroaig

Reaction score
I've been looking for a few days at local nurseries for wine grape varieties, and the selection doesn't even qualify as sparse. I found this website (http://wine.wsu.edu/research-extension/plant-health/nwgfs/certified/) that has a small list of growers in Oregon, but most of them require wholesale accounts. Anyone know of any growers that sell to the public and have a decent selection? I'd like to grow ten each of pinot noir, tempernillo, and chardonnay (for the wife :D).

Portland Nursery might have some. Raintree up in WA has some online, and so does One Green World out Salem. You haven't looked hard enough.

More than half of Raintree's wine grape are prohibited in Oregon. I contacted them awhile back and found out that it was because of the Oregon wine grape quarantine and certification. Yes, I have seen two or three varieties in Portland nurseries many years ago, but none of them could tell me what kind of rootstock they were grafted to (let alone if they were grafted at all). There is one nursery here in Eugene (Bloomers) that had a limited supply of pinot noir, but they weren't grafted--and I'm not gonna spend several hundred dollars on plants that will inevitably die in a few years time. Johnson Brothers here only has table grapes, same with the Tree Cottage and Territorial.

Yes, I have been looking hard, and there are a few varieties that I will be able to get--specifically two strains of pinot noir and pinot gris respectively--but as for certified chardonnay, merlot, cab franc, syrah, or zinfandel? Can't find a single plant to buy. If you know of a specific nursery in Portland that has a good selection I'll make the drive up there, since I'm always looking for an excuse to visit friends and go to Higgins :D

Here's a quick rundown of what's allowed/prohibited from Raintree

H503 Agria Grape/3309
Prohibited

H502 Aurore grape (seeded)
Allowed

H506 Burmunk Grape/3309
Prohibited

H520 Cabernet Franc Grape/101-14
Prohibited

FH520 Cabernet Franc Grape (Fall Ship)
Prohibited

H537 Early Muscat Grape (seeded)
Allowed

H540Q Edelweiss Grape
Prohibited

H563 Garanoir Grape
Allowed

H580 Madeleine Angevine/3309
Prohibited

H580G Madeleine Angevine/Gallon
Allowed

FH580G Madeleine Angevine Grape (Fall Ship)
Prohibited

H585 Muller Thurgau grape (seeded)
Allowed

H590 Muscat Ottonel grape (seeded)
Allowed

H595Q New York Muscat Grape
Allowed

H593 Ortega Grape/3309
Prohibited

H602 Pinot Noir 777 Grape/3309 (Clone French 777)
Prohibited

H603 Pinot Precoce Grape/3309
Prohibited

H599 Siegerrebe grape/3309
Prohibited

H605Q Swenson's Red Grape (Prohib to NY, CA, WA & ID )
Allowed

Back