too late to lower temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrfrk182

Reaction score
i looked for the swamp bucket pages as fast as i could but im afraid i have to leave soon for the day.
i am on day 3 of fermentation of my first brew, an irish stout. it is sitting in the laundry room probably around 75-77 degrees. i really dont know. i have a swamp bucket and i was considering transfering it into their today with some bags of ice to get it down to 65-70.
is it too late for a transfer like this?
should i just let it ferment the way it is?:confused:
thanks

The first 3 days at those temperatures did not help. IMO, you should do what you can to get the yeast back into their preferred temperature range for the remainder of fermentation. And leave it in the primary for a week or so longer than you were planning on.

What do you mean by 'transfer'? You don't need to transfer anything, just place the fermenter that the beer is in into a tub and fill the tub half way with water. Add some ice if needed.

+1 on the tub. I would also buy a sticky thermometer to put on the carboy....didn't sound like you had one on it.

sweet thanks alot guys. i have my wort in the swamp bucket now with some ice bottles in it to keep it around 70. i have a small cookink thermometer that i use but a sticky one is a great idea!

Good move on getting the temps down. I know you are probably setting your expectation correctly, and I am pretty new to this as well, but from my own experience... my first batch was a Bock, temps 75-80. It burned through the yeast in 36 hours and then went dead. The OG was 1.058, FG 1.020, and had very nasty rubber/soil taste when I bottled. I named it "Assbock" because of this. Last night I opened one after conditioning for two weeks, and it was much better. Not great, but not too horrible either. I think in a few more weeks it will get better. My second brew, the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, I got the swamp bucket and kept the temps in the 60-65 range. It took seven days to ferment, and went from a 1.050 to 1.006! I have dry-hopped it for a week and am now cold-crashing prior to bottling; the sample I took tasted most excellent. I am a firm believer now in the "low and slow" approach of giving the yeasties time to do their thing.

Back