repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewser

Reaction score
I made a Brewer's Best kit of oatmeal stout Jan 31 and pitched around 73F, assuming it would cool several degrees in the following 24 hours. It began to ferment within 6 hours and the next day, around pitch+18 hours, it was very active - 2-3 bubbles per second - due to unusually high temps in the house. At that point I moved it to a much cooler spot, tried wrapping the fermenter in wet towel to cool it to no avail. Finally the temperature dropped and fermentation slowed significantly at about pitch+25 hours. As of Feb 2 there has been basically no activity that I can see. Gravity is at 1.028, from an OG of 1.072 and it tastes sweet (esters?) and a bit like grain. Should I re-pitch to reduce the gravity and hopefully finish the fermentation, or is it done? If the former, how much yeast should I add?

Thanks in advance!

btw, it still tastes pretty good.

I'm not familar with the kit. What type of yeast is used.
Going from 1.072 to 1.028 is apparent attenuation of 61.1%. This could be normal depending on the yeast you used.

Good question. I think it was Windsor ale yeast by Danstar, which, after looking it up on the web, is supposed to produce a "a beer which is estery to both palate and nose, and is usually described as full-bodied, fruity English ales." (http://www.danstaryeast.com/windsor.html) Maybe all is fine with my stout!

I'd get the temperature to the mid-sixties and rouse the yeast. Then wait a few more days and take another reading. You can probably get a few more points out of it.

So what yeast did you use?

it looks like my previous post didn't in fact post..

the yeast was Danstar Windsor Ale yeast in the 11 g pack, and after reading about it on their website, it looks like it's supposed to be moderate attenuation, fruity and estery, which is what I have. Still, my beer tastes a bit like grain. Is that something that will mellow on conditioning? It is currently at ~65 and seemingly done, but perhaps it's just very slow and will drop a few more points..

Back