Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noldar

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian White with OG ~ 1.60. I brewed it last Tuesday (10/17) and it took off by Wednesday morning with about 1bubb/5secs. It's been going at that rate since then and is still bubbling 1/5seconds. My question is, after 10 days should I rack it to the secondary? I'm without a Thief, so I am unable to take a Hydrometer reading until I rack.

Any advice would be great :) As of now, I plan on racking it tonight.

Its odd that it is still going at such a rate. I'd say leave it in primary and keep an eye on it to slow down before you transfer.

- magno

My Grand Cru did the same thing - did you have honey in it? That stuff takes a while to ferment. Just leave it alone

Chairman Cheyco said:
Yup, don't rack it until it stops, it's best to leave it. It can stay in there for a while, up to four weeks.

I've left them in the primary for four MONTHS with no problems. My Cyser and my Maple Wine have been in their primaries since early July.

Awesome, I'll let it sit until it stops :) Thanks for the prompt advice.

/edit

There was no honey in it.

Cheesefood said:
I've left them in the primary for four MONTHS with no problems. My Cyser and my Maple Wine have been in their primaries since early July.

Are you using starters? The healthier the yeast you pitch is, the longer you can leave it in primary.

I'd let it sit until it stopped bubbling, too. If the peak rate was 1 bubble every 5 seconds, it's probably going to take a while. That seems like low bubble activity to me.....

What temp is the fermenter setting at?

Oh, and one thing regarding this comment:
Noldar said:
I'm without a Thief, so I am unable to take a Hydrometer reading until I rack.
Do you have a plastic turkey baster? They make for great sample-stealers.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I'd let it sit until it stopped bubbling, too. If the peak rate was 1 bubble every 5 seconds, it's probably going to take a while. That seems like low bubble activity to me.....

What temp is the fermenter setting at?

Oh, and one thing regarding this comment:

Do you have a plastic turkey baster? They make for great sample-stealers.

-walker

Temp fermenting is at 68 degrees and I might just go buy me a turkey baster now.
I also did *not* use a starter. I'm going to be using them from now on though ;)

Back