quick question about my FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
I have a williams double stout that has been in fermentation for 3 1/2 weeks now. the OG was 1.060 and its been stuck at 1.030 for the last 4 days. I gave it a little stir and everything. Fermentation was great, it even blew the airlock off the BB. I used a 800 ML starter for it. but seems like it should be lower. instructions say bottle if less than 1.030.

I had a similar problem with a williams red ale. its FG was 1.026 when i bottled. couldn't get the FG down anymore. Now both kits were bought from williams brewing and i used starters on both to get experiance making starters. I followed the instrucitons from williamsbrewing on making starter. I'm wondering if i F'd up both starters somehow? here's the starter instructions i followed http://www.williamsbrewing.com/pdfs/q27.pdf

Both beers tasted a little sweet when a sampled for reading. Will a high FG affect the taste of beer?

What temperature is you fermenter? Warming it up a couple degrees, along with some more gentle movements may give you the last few points you want.

its fermented at 68 and now its at room temp with varies between 70-75. I wonder if i should put it next to the heater and get it closer to 80?

Sounds more like either too high of a mash temp if you did AG or old extract if this is extract.

50% attenuation is not good and even a less than perfect starter should do better.

One thing you can do to increase the perceived dryness is to add 1/2 pound of sugar to kick off another round of fermentation.

it was an extract and the LME was about a month old but was kept refrigerated from day off arrival. I boiled it pretty hard, i passed rolling and went to vigorous. dunno if that would matter. The starter was 800 ML I gave it 2 days and pitched the whole thing. the yeast was a wyeast smack pack. this was the kit http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAM_S_DOUBLE_STOUT_P797C189.cfm I can't remember kind of yeast it was.

Your temps I think are fine. I've never tried what dontman said, but at this point its certainly worth a shot.

I have never ordered, or heard of williamsbrewing.com, but on your next batch I would suggest trying a different vendor, see if you get the same results - that way you will know if its something in your process or not.

it was an extract and the LME was about a month old but was kept refrigerated from day off arrival.

I'm not referring to how long you had the extract. I'm more thinking of the amount of time from manufacturer to store shelf and how long at the store. Like Corvax mentioned if I was having similar attenuation issues I would switch LME suppliers to check or switch to all DME.

I'm not referring to how long you had the extract. I'm more thinking of the amount of time from manufacturer to store shelf and how long at the store. Like Corvax mentioned if I was having similar attenuation issues I would switch LME suppliers to check or switch to all DME.

Gotcha. Yeah since i've tried AHS and Northern I've been real happy with them. I don't like the way Williamsbrewing LME comes in a giant Sealed bag. Pouring 8 pounds of malt extract from a bag is a pain in da A$$. it gets every were.

Gotcha. Yeah since i've tried AHS and Northern I've been real happy with them. I don't like the way Williamsbrewing LME comes in a giant Sealed bag. Pouring 8 pounds of malt extract from a bag is a pain in da A$$. it gets every were.

Yeah... that certainly sounds like a big sticky mess.

Back