Wort took WAY too long to cool PLEASE HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paxton

Reaction score
Hi everyone yesterday I was working on my 6th batch of beer and for some reason the wort took at least 4 hours to chill. I brewed with three gallons and then added a 7lb bag of ice and 1 more gallon to bring it to 5 gallons and usually that method gets it down to 75 within 10 minutes or so. 15 hours later and it's bubbled once I've seen in the past 20 minutes does anyone have suggestions advice information questions etc.

First of all 15 hours isn't that long for fermentation to start. If you didn't use a good dose of yeast, it could take up to 3 days.

Read through this thread to relieve any concern you might have. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Also, the slow chill will not be an issue here. Although you aren't intentionally trying the method in this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/ it will probably also help you feel better.

RDWHAHB

I would wait 3 weeks and then check FG to see if it is stable before bottling.

Drink beer to stem any anxiety.

enjoy

4 hours to pitching temp is not that bad, and 15 hours to start fermenting could be pretty quick depending on size of starter/use of starter/strain of yeast/ambient temperature/etc.

don't worry about it. you still made beer

this is interesting, I am to cheap to buy a wort chiller, so I take and boil in 1 1/2 gal or 2 1/2 gall boil I add the rem 3 or 4 gals of very cold tap want to my carboy as soon as the boil is done. air lock the carboy and take the pot of wort directly to the sink. I give it an Ice bath bring temp down to about 80* filter the wort though a strainer and funnel it into the carboy, the temp of the carboy over the 20 to 30 mins to cool the wort comes up is just perfect when I add the wort.brings to to a nice 65 to 70* I pitch the yeast usually with in 30 to 45 mins of end boil. Does it usually take 4 hours to cool when you boil a full batch?

Reeeeeelax. I had a batch of beer that took almost that long too. I ended up pitching the yeast too hot (and killed them). Nothing happened for 48 hours, and I pitched more. It went and came out estery cause of the stressed out yeasties but its mellowed with time. Im giving it some age and Im sure it will be tasty soon.
-Me

Relax no biggie. My Brown Ale took about 4 or five hours to cool down to pitch yeast to. Used a starter and it went crazy by morning, thank god for blow off tubes!!! Building a chiller this weekend, though solve this problem!!

Back