My first EdWorts Apfelwein (Love is in the air)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoggy

Reaction score
I am about 2 weeks in the primary on my first ever Apfelwein. I took some out to check the SG... Well, ok so I took out more than enough to do the test as I couldn't wait to taste it. Wow I tell you, I could drink the stuff right now. :rockin: This stuff is coming along nicely and it definately has some kick to it. :fro:

Ya, I just started my first a little while ago, as well.

No one ever tells you how bad it smells when fermentation first starts. Made my apt. wreak for about a week...

Yeah I started it and a bit of mead at the same time in the pantry, wow, yeah it stays in my bathroom now. Mine has been fermenting about 3 weeks now, and it still bubbles every now and then but is starting to clear. I can not wait for it.

My wife walked in to where it was fermenting and asked "What died" ? She has also made comments about brewing P**s. Will she get any to drink ?? I think NOT.

I strayed ever so slightly from the recipe by adding one gallon of Blueberry/Pomegranite juice to it, and it never got the stinks. :)

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but in three batches I haven't noticed any of the horrible smells that I was expecting. Even right by the carboy it smells, at most, a little apple-y. I follow EdWort's original recipe.

I made a 2 gallon batch about 7 weeks ago and it is still bubbling. This HAS to be the C02 degassing. I wanna let it sit a full 2 months before i bottle it.

Mine smelled very nice for the first 2 days of fermenting, see sig to find out what it smelled like after that.

Frets I tried mine at 2.5 weeks and I could guzzle the whole carboy already. You might want to start a new batch right away :p

I just made up a batch about a week ago, substituting Lalvin D-47 yeast for the champagne yeast. My closet used to smell like leather, now it smells like leather and apples. Yummy! I didn't get any sulfur smell with the D-47, but the proof will be in the pudding in a few weeks...

Ok so I liked the sample that I drank yesterday so much that I got a second batch going today. A local store had the apple juice for 99 cents a half gallon. Hell at that price I might put together a few more batches of this stuff. And FWIW I get the Rhino fart smells with mine as well. I tell the wife that it is all part of the experience.;)

Frets I tried mine at 2.5 weeks and I could guzzle the whole carboy already. You might want to start a new batch right away :p

So im told! :) I wasn't able to before because of space issues, but since Im upgrading to a much larger apartment Im sure I'll be brewing up another batch real soon.

I have a random/possibly silly question. You can reuse the yeast cake for apfelwein, right?

From the Apfelwein wiki page:
Can I just reuse the yeast cake that has settled from the previous batch?

You can. Some suggest that you run the risk of a previous infection that can grow in your new batch. Some have done it many times with no problem and have noticed that fermentation starts faster. For about $1.00 for a fresh packet of yeast, most just sanitize and re-pitch rather than risk the $20 for juice and 4 weeks of waiting.

I started my batch last night. It's bubbling away vigorously and it smells like a combination of apples and egg farts. My wife is giving me a little grief, but is supportive.

I'm using the Montrachet. I wanted to use Wyeast 3068 which, I think, doesn't give off the dreaded "rhino farts."

Definitely.

I have a random/possibly silly question. You can reuse the yeast cake for apfelwein, right?

yeah if every thing is looking good it is great becase the juice have very little protein for the yeast so by using the cake it makes things go faster and a cleaner fermintaion do to less yeast stress

my last batch i just racked it off after 10 days to secondry and poured new juice honey and enerzer right on top of the old cake was going strong in 6 hrs

Back