Infection? Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweaty

Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed the Cascade Orange APA three weeks ago. I've been dry hopping it the past few weeks and I had a look today after the last addition and there is some unusual looking fuzz on the top. I'm pretty sure this is the start of an infection but I would like to get some opinions. It's not as bad as some other pics I've seen, but I'm kinda bummed. As you can see the clarity on this batch was really promising and it was coming along so well. If it is an infection I'm pretty sure I know the source. I was only able to use 1/2 ounce per dry hop infusion in the stainless tube. I opened the ounce of Cascade originally and rather than putting the rest of the hops in a sealed bag, I just folded them up and put them back in the fridge. So if it is an infection, should I even attempt bottling it or what? Hopefully I can get some input here, thanks!

Picture_0164.jpg

Picture_0154.jpg

i'm no expert, but it doesn't necessarily spell out infection to me. i'd definitely give it some more time and see what happens.

I smelled and tasted a sample, seemed fine to me. And yeah, Revvy will say give it time I'm sure :) I read another post of his and he was talking about when using whole hops you can get hop oils that stick together and trap the CO2. I'm not sure if that is what this is, but I'm hoping so.

I had something that looked Just like that happen before- but they looked even more like clouds floating in the secondary (SWMBO tried to get a large cardboard box for something- realized there was a full carboy in it- and stopped trying to lift it....and had no idea that she had knocked the airlock off). I racked to the keg via a steeping bag, and it was one of my most successful batches ever. So I would say that this should maybe not effect your original time-line whatsoever......Crash cooling always makes things drop out too......

Nothing in your picture suggests infection; you'll be fairly certain when you have an infection. What you are seeing is a normal occurrence when dry-hopping. A combination of the hop resins and CO2 in suspension can make for some weird looking beer when sitting in secondary.

Oh - and 'several weeks' is far too long to dry-hop. 7-10 days is nearly perfect, IMHO. You risk some grassy, raw vegetal flavors.

This is a (purposeful) lactobacillus infection for comparison:

IMG_5627.JPG

Thank you for the picture of the infection! It sure doesn't look like anything I have going in the carboys at the moment!

Back