Lapse in Dog's training.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleedsDogFish

Reaction score
Alright, so my dog has decided that he must pee in his crate everytime he gets in it. Took him for a LONG walk today. He peed numerous times, and pooped( twice). Put him in his crate to run to the store and he peed in it. I know it's not becuase he has to go. Any experience/advice on this?

How old is the dog? Nuetered or not?

My bulldog went thru a crazy phase when he was about 2. Older lady down the street had a boston terrier female, and use to stop at the fence. Moe was in the mood for love, and started marking "his" turf.

Alright, so my dog has decided that he must pee in his crate everytime he gets in it. Took him for a LONG walk today. He peed numerous times, and pooped( twice). Put him in his crate to run to the store and he peed in it. I know it's not becuase he has to go. Any experience/advice on this?

How long has this been going on? He could have a urinary tract infection or something. Maybe take a trip to the vet.

My dog is a Miniature Bull Terrier. He is just over 3, and he is neutered. I can only assume it is a mental thing. He can hold when he is out of his crate. I know he is purposely peeing in his crate for whatever reason. Some how he has learned that it's ok too or something.

He could have a urinary tract infection or something. Maybe take a trip to the vet.

This is very possible. Frequent urination with little result is classic sign of a UTI. Obvious pain and possibly bleeding follow. If you can't figure it out otherwise, a trip to the vet is probably your best bet. If it is not a UTI, the vet still might be able to help.

A trip to the vet should absolutely be the first thing you do. Great place to ask advice too if it turns out to not be an infection.

What is the dog's attitude about going in the crate?

Is the crate appropriately sized for the dog? To big of a crate allows the dog a place to pee and a place to be, and thats not a good thing. As well, if you have any kind of bedding or blanket in the crate, try removing it, the dog really won't care until they pee and have to lay in it instead of the bedding soaking it up.

My dog used to do the same thing and he would just lay in it. The thing was he would do it outa pure spite because he didnt like the crate. Now we leave running free in the living room and have no problems at all.

Take the dog to the vet and find out if he has a UTI. If not then MrShake brought up a really good point, if it is too big dont worry about it they sell attachments to make them smaller.

I have a few yrs under my belt training dogs in basic, and advanced OB. As well as PPD, so i will help however I can.

I will say this, and I will bold it, just to put the emphasis behind what I am about to say:

Schedule an appointment with your vet to follow up on this problem.

Stranguria/Polyuria are some conditions that need some very pointed questions and history to differentiate between the two, as well as urinalysis and possibly other diagnostic tests to help identify the specific problem. Now everyone above is correct that a UTI is common and could be the issue, but here is a SHORT list of other conditions it could be (and some VERY serious) that you need your vet to diagnose and treat:

Urinary calculi (bladder stones)
Prostatitis
Glomelulonephritis
Acute kidney failure
Chronic renal disease
Hypoadrenocorticism
Hyperadrenocorticism
Hypercalcemia of malignancy
Hyperparathyroidism
Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes Insipidus

Bottom line, the only help or advice we can give you online is to go talk to your vet.

Also, this is a medical condition, so don't punish your dog for the accidents, he cannot help them. Go get some medical help to resolve the problem.

Back