Double IPA Space Time IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamptrump

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP008
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Showcase of Galaxy Hops. Fruity IPA with a balanced bitterness.
11 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.0 %
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 8.0 %
.5 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %

1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] (First Wort Addition)
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] (15 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (optional) (15 min)
2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] (30 min Steep/Hopstand @ 180F)
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1 Vial East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008) [Starter 50 ml]

I used this yeast as an alternative to the Conan strain. If you have the Conan strain go ahead and use that, it will probably be better.

Mash at 148.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm unsure about the conversion to extract. If anyone wants to attempt that, I bet some extract brewer's here would enjoy that.

The beer came at very smooth. If you are looking for a bitter IPA that wrecks your palate, this isn't the IPA you are looking for. The bitterness balances with the beer creating a great showcase of Galaxy hop flavor and aroma.

I'll post pictures later. Unfortunately though, the version I currently have in bottles is from a variant that added 3 lb Peach puree and 2 lb Apricot puree in the primary. Putting the fruit in primary left very subtle flavors, rather than letting the fruit dominate the beer. It did cloud up the beer some, as a fair warning when I get the picture.

Looks pretty tasty. I've made a galaxy based black IPA a few times that I called Spaceboots, also using Conan. Though Im not a huge fan of the last years crop of galaxy. For me it was much too dank and resiny and it overshadowed the mango flavors. Hopefully the 2015n harvest will be better

Latest posts

Back