Moving - Shaking Primary During Transportation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
So, I made an ale a week and I had to move this weekend. While transporting the primary we hit quite a few bumps and I`m concerned that my ale may have been oxidized.

Is there anything I can do to ascertain possible damage, and if I determine there is a problem, any suggestions on how to fix it.

This was 3 days ago, for what it`s worth.

Thanks.

Did you brew it three days ago or move three days ago? If fermentation was still going on you should be ok.What day did you brew it and what day did you transport it?

did you have an airlock on the whole time? if so, you have nothing to worry about. all oxygen will have been pushed out during fermentation: CO2 is heavier, so the O2 would have floated to the top of your headspace. eventually there would have been so much CO2 that all O2 would have been forced out. you have nothing to fear.

Did you brew it three days ago or move three days ago? If fermentation was still going on you should be ok.What day did you brew it and what day did you transport it?

Sorry for the confusing OP. I brewed it 10 days ago, moved 3 days ago.

sweetcell:

Yes, I had an airlock on it but a little bit of beer came out around the bung/seal. Not sure if that makes a difference but I thought it might indicate it wasn't "airtight".

I'll check it out in a few days when I take me next gravity reading and will see how it smells/taste.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't mean to steal the thread, but I don't want to make a new one.

Is it true that the dried foam (dead yeast and proteins stuck to the fermenter) are not soluble, and therefore not lead to off flavors if they get shaken off of the sides and back into the beer?

I don't mean to steal the thread, but I don't want to make a new one.

Is it true that the dried foam (dead yeast and proteins stuck to the fermenter) are not soluble, and therefore not lead to off flavors if they get shaken off of the sides and back into the beer?

The stuff that falls through doesn't lead to off flavors, so why would the stuff knocked loose? It will just fall through like the other stuff.

sweetcell:

Yes, I had an airlock on it but a little bit of beer came out around the bung/seal. Not sure if that makes a difference but I thought it might indicate it wasn't "airtight".

I'll check it out in a few days when I take me next gravity reading and will see how it smells/taste.
you are worrying for nothing. oxidation is a bogey man. a little splashing will not oxidize your beer. first off, you may have re-started a little bit of fermentation after you put the bucket down because you roused the yeast - this would have produced a little more CO2, which being heavier than O2 would settle over the beer as a protective blanket. and most importantly, by sloshing things around you caused some CO2 that was in suspension in the liquid to come out (you might have noticed that after you put the bucket down, your airlock started bubbling again as the newly released CO2 escaped. again, that CO2 would have forced out oxygen and created a protective blanket.

i will bet you 100-to-1 that your beer is not oxidize. stop worrying about it.

Latest posts

Back