365 Beers...Anyone for a Duvel ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugster

Well-Known, Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That's right, we're back for another beer from my 365 beers desk calendar. :tank:

Today we have a beautiful golden Belgin Ale...Duvel. Nice sweet, fruity flavor that's complemanted with a very nice hop butique (Boo - Kay). This all contributes to an incredibale head with exquisite lacing that slides down the side of the glass. I used a proper Stella glass too by the way!

Has anyone tried this beer?

My beer calendar also gives me a recipe every Sunday for that style of beer I had on Saturday...hence the Duvel! :p

This recipe will be in the "Recipes/Ingredients" Section. It is given in an PM version, I will also give reciepe in an AG & EG form too...

See you all next week for our next adventure in..." Three Hundred Sixty Five Beers!!! " echo, echo, echo...

:mug:

I also have the 365 beer calendar and was looking at the Duvel recipe this morning. I was actually pretty interested in doing an AG Duvel clone based off this (I even drank a Duvel with my lunch to take some notes from) but I don't think this recipe is genuine enough for an accurate Duvel clone. While the bitterness and hops profile seems to be perfect (30ibu) the color is too dark and the malt profile will definitely be different, as Duvel is only brewed with pilsener malts and dextrose sugar. There would also be attenuation difficulties using this recipe. Duvel has an OG of 1.069, FG of 1.006, color 3.5srm, and 30ibu.

While this recipe won't be exactly like Duvel, it will get you somewhat close. A good recipe base to start from, IMO. :)

I have the same calendar on my desk at work. Today is the Burning River Pale Ale from a brewery in Ohio. Hmmm...I'll have to read about this infamous river fire of June 23, 1969.;)

I'm off today and my calendar is at work...thanks for letting me know what today's is! :mug:

Are you all saving them after you tear em off? I am...don't know why but there's cool info.

And the Sunday Recipes by Charlie Papazian are really cool as well.

Duvel - Pretty much the gold standard for the style "Belgian Golden Strong Ale"

Me, I'd rather have a Trippel or three. :drunk:

I also have the 365 beer calendar and was looking at the Duvel recipe this morning. I was actually pretty interested in doing an AG Duvel clone based off this (I even drank a Duvel with my lunch to take some notes from) but I don't think this recipe is genuine enough for an accurate Duvel clone. While the bitterness and hops profile seems to be perfect (30ibu) the color is too dark and the malt profile will definitely be different, as Duvel is only brewed with pilsener malts and dextrose sugar. There would also be attenuation difficulties using this recipe. Duvel has an OG of 1.069, FG of 1.006, color 3.5srm, and 30ibu.

While this recipe won't be exactly like Duvel, it will get you somewhat close. A good recipe base to start from, IMO. :)

Yeah, I read somewhere about the pilsner malt?? I did type it into Beersmith and the color did look a bit off...I know my JHBS has pilsen malt...does that mean I must use multi-step infussions?

But I too agree that it might get close to the orig. Nice starting point loke you said. :)

I have the same calendar on my desk at work. Today is the Burning River Pale Ale from a brewery in Ohio. Hmmm...I'll have to read about this infamous river fire of June 23, 1969.

I grew up in Cleveland...very good beer...always fresh. The fire was 1 year before I was born...but where else can ya go and have water burn! :rockin: I now live in AZ and see it sometimes in the one stores I fequent. Might have to find me one!

I'm off today and my calendar is at work...thanks for letting me know what today's is!

Are you all saving them after you tear em off? I am...don't know why but there's cool info.

And the Sunday Recipes by Charlie Papazian are really cool as well.

I've been saving the recipes to try down the line...and trying a few beers from each week...getting expensive tho!

Gonna try the Hennipen soon (probably not spelled right) :drunk:

Love Duvel, one of my favorite bars in the center of Brussels had them for about 2 euros/bottle.... which was fantastic considering cheap beer was 2 euros a pint!!

Cant wait to see the recipe!!

has anyone signed up for the free online one that they give you the code for? I thought about doing it so that I could post them on here...But I'm always worried about signing up for anything onlin for fear of excess junk emails...I hate spam.

has anyone signed up for the free online one that they give you the code for? I thought about doing it so that I could post them on here...But I'm always worried about signing up for anything onlin for fear of excess junk emails...I hate spam.

When I get home I will dig up my code...not sure if they had the 365 beer on the website or not :confused: But posting each day would be very cool!!!

Don't get any spam from them (the onliine calander people) either...kinda nice.

If there is the 365 beers on line I'll let you post em...I don't want to take away from your fun there Revvy... :D (but I call the recipes)

I have the same calendar on my desk at work. Today is the Burning River Pale Ale from a brewery in Ohio. Hmmm...I'll have to read about this infamous river fire of June 23, 1969.;)

Great Lakes Brewery. its about 15 minutes from me. If you can get your hands on their Christmas Ale, Rackhouse Ale, and Lake Erie Monster ... ummm are they delicious. Problem is i don't know if they distribute as far as oregon? and i think you can only get the rackhouse and lake erie at the brewery. their food is pretty awesome too if you ever happen to be in cleveland.

Great Lakes Brewery. its about 15 minutes from me. If you can get your hands on their Christmas Ale, Rackhouse Ale, and Lake Erie Monster ... ummm are they delicious. Problem is i don't know if they distribute as far as oregon? and i think you can only get the rackhouse and lake erie at the brewery. their food is pretty awesome too if you ever happen to be in cleveland.

I lived in Cleveland for 26 years, my buddy brewed and I never made it there...:confused: But my folks still live there...hummm...maybe I can have mom or dad stop by and send me out some???

I had a Duvel for the first time last week. Very nice Belgian ale.

I didn't know about the calendar, but I might order one anyway.

I lived in Cleveland for 26 years, my buddy brewed and I never made it there...:confused: But my folks still live there...hummm...maybe I can have mom or dad stop by and send me out some???

christmas Ale, you can only buy from roughly november 5 until they run out, which is usually way before christmas. you can get it just about anywhere in cleveland. the other 2, i don't believe they bottle ... but you can get a growler filled at the brewery ... that would be interesting to ship?

I had a Duvel for the first time last week. Very nice Belgian ale.

I didn't know about the calendar, but I might order one anyway.

Yeah...it's still early in the year...plus it's cool! :D

christmas Ale, you can only buy from roughly november 5 until they run out, which is usually way before christmas. you can get it just about anywhere in cleveland. the other 2, i don't believe they bottle ... but you can get a growler filled at the brewery ... that would be interesting to ship?

I think it could be done, check it...for my birthday SWMBO got me "micro beers of the us" or some name like that, where every month for 3 months I would get 9 beers from 3 different breweries in a nice 12 pack styra-foam box. Very heavy duty. So for XMAS I sent my parents a box full of my home brews. I asked them to save the box for me...so I'm thinkin, before they send it back empty they could grab me a growler and then I could try them for myself :rockin:

Back