Keggle is getting a spigot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
I just got done drilling a hole in my keggle for the weld-b-gone bulkhead fitting...

Here is a pic of the keggle with the hole, and the keggle's best friend, the mash tun:

keggle_with_mlt.jpg

I used a 3/4" hole saw and a dremel to widen the hole a little. I have brass valve and nipples, that I have to pickle before assembling. Also, I need to figure out how I am going to do the 'dip tube'. I dont have any copper laying around and I dont feel like buying a ton of copper for a few inches of dip tube.

I'll update this thread as I make progress!

For my pick up tube, I bought this from the local hardware store:

IMG_8255.JPG

I'm not really sure what it's normally used for, but I used a pipe cutter to remove the closed end and it hooked it up to my weldless bulkhead with a compression fitting. It cost about $2 if I remember correctly.

Here's what it looked like with everything connected:

IMG_8259.JPG

Interesting...is that copper or brass?

Ideally I'd like to keep everything copper or stainless inside the kettle...even tho Im using a brass valve. Not sure why, it just feel better that way :)

i saw the same thing at Lowe's and was wondering how that piece would work out as a pick-up tube.

As mentioned, how close does it come to the bottom? Not really happy with my current setup so I may look into picking that up.

I decided I dont want to use brass valves and nipples.

I just bought 2 New 3-Piece SS Ball Valves on ebay. I checked the manufacturer "MCF" and found they were full port valves so I jumped on them... $27 Shipped. This is a good deal right???

LINK TO VALVES ON EBAY

bigben said:
Interesting...is that copper or brass?

Ideally I'd like to keep everything copper or stainless inside the kettle...even tho Im using a brass valve. Not sure why, it just feel better that way :)

It's a copper tube. I drilled the hole in my keggle a little over 3 inches from the bottom, and the pick up tube is 8" x 3", so it's about 1/2" off the bottom of the keg, and almost exactly in the middle of the keg. It leaves very little behind when I'm done draining.

IMG_8285.JPG

I could have continued to drain more in this picture, but it was all hop sludge.

So the suction from the spigot sucks through the pickup even though it's above the liquid level? coolio. Gonna be picking up 3 kegs next week hopefully for 30 bones

The picture above is what they call a "stub out" as far as I know it's what a plumber will use when he's putting the system together and a fixture will go there in the future (he puts that part through the wall) He can pressure test the system and then later cut off the closed end and connect the fixture.

Edit:
When I did this I just used a short length of copper pipe ($2) a 90 degree elbow and a 1/2" pipe to 1/2" NPT connection (So I can screw it in)

IrregularPulse said:
So the suction from the spigot sucks through the pickup even though it's above the liquid level? coolio. Gonna be picking up 3 kegs next week hopefully for 30 bones

It will only continue to siphon below the level of the ball valve if you have a hose hooked up to the other side of the ball valve.

I took a picture of the stubout when I bought it, but it didn't turn out too well.

IMG_8256.JPG

If you go to any home improvement store and ask for a stubout, they should know what you're talking about. Then just make sure you get a compression fitting that will fit the OD of the stubout.

drunkatuw said:
It will only continue to siphon below the level of the ball valve if you have a hose hooked up to the other side of the ball valve.

I took a picture of the stubout when I bought it, but it didn't turn out too well.

IMG_8256.JPG

If you go to any home improvement store and ask for a stubout, they should know what you're talking about. Then just make sure you get a compression fitting that will fit the OD of the stubout.
why didnt the stub out work for you?

Ok guys help me out here. I am trying to figure out how Im gonna do the pickup tube into my kettle. I want it to stay along the side because I want to use an IC and Whirlpool

I found 10' of 1/2" Soft Copper at Home Depot...
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100345692
4e3e5b96-76c2-4f36-a1ba-eccb40167515_400.jpg

If I got this copper adapter to screw into my bulkhead:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100342945
345c5ef8-fe00-4231-b191-00eb970f317d_400.jpg

Could I use a compression fitting to connect the soft copper tub to the copper adapter? I can't seem to find the compression fitting online, and I have been to lowes/homedepot so many times lately, I dont want to go without knowing what I need.

So if someone can tell me what part or compression fitting I need, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT:: Actually I can't use that fitting. It would have to have threads on both ends right?

You'll want something like this:
A-129C.jpg

You'll want the threaded end to be the same as the bulkhead on your keggle (probably 1/2"). And you'll want the compression end to be the same as the OD of the copper (again probably 1/2").

I doubt they make a similar product in copper because copper is so soft a compression fitting would be very difficult. You could go with stainless steel, but a comparable fitting is around $40 here. If you want copper, then I'd recommend soldering the diptube in place.

Ok, you know what, I'm gonna pop my soldering cherry. Screw it....im sick of trying to piece parts together.

I'm gonna solder the Male Adapter to some copper pipe, a 90, then more copper pipe going straight down. If I feel adventurous I will put another 90 at the bottom and make some pipe go to the side and cut slits in it, and put a cap at the end. We'll see. Im sure it will be a disaster.

Ok, so I chickened out. I went to Homedepot and got a 1/2" X 6" Stub out. It doesn't have a 90 bend in it though...it's just a straight one like what can be seen here...
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100343211

Also, I got a Watts compression fitting. I got the 1/2" NPT to 5/8" CMP fitting. I got the 5/8" compression fitting because that's the only one that the 1/2" stub out would fit into. Can anyone tell me if this is gonna work? I haven't tried wrenching it down yet.

Also, do I need the insert that comes with the compression fitting or can I take that out? What's the purpose of it? And, should I put pipe tape on the CMP threads?

Thanks.

You don't need the insert. I believe that is if you're using a plastic tube instead of copper. It's hard to tell if the compression fitting is the right size until you cut the end of the stub out and fit it into the compression. It should be a pretty snug fit and then you'll get a really good seal when you wrench it down.

Ok, cool..thanks.

I was able to test fit the stub out because the other end is open. It does slide in there, and kinda slides back and forth. It is a little snug I guess. I will wrench it down tonight and try installing it. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, does the compression fitting need teflon tape on the threads?

bump...

Sorry to be a noob, but I am gonna put this together and I hate repeating work!!!

So, do you have to put teflon tape on the threads for the compression fitting side????

Thanks!

I don't use teflon tape on the compression fitting side. I would think that would make it more difficult to wrench down and tighten the compression. A quick google search for "teflon tape compression fitting" agrees with me and says to never use teflon tape on the compression fitting (although you will want to use it on the NPT side).

Well, I am still waiting for my SS Ball Valves, but I have completed all the inside of the kettle work.

I ended up getting the 5/8" CMP x 1/2" MPT compression elbow. It works perfectly with the 1/2" stub out. I have it angled towards the left side of the keg. Siphon works also. I filled the keg up half way and attached a barb to the front of the bulkead. Ended up with 56 oz left in the keg.

Here's a pic...
kettle_pickup.jpg

And here's a link, cuz that pic is tiny...
http://picasaweb.google.com/bfriedman13/BeerEquipment/photo#5192530059757383890

Why is there no concern with these style dip tubes not having a filter? Are you all using hopbags with them? I am currently trying to figure out my diptube for my new keggles. I wanted some kind of slotted false bottom. This is just for a boiling pot not a mashtun..

Back